Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 6, 2022

I LIKE Thursday!



Some likes and one particular "not like".   This mushroom (fungi) growing in our yard. It's very interesting but when I tried to remove one just like earlier in the week, there was black oily icky all over my hands. I washed well immediately. 




This tiny quilt block was in the quilt to be raffled off by our Wyoming State Quilt Guild. This block amazed me. All the tiny hsts are pieced in this star. 


Here is a photo of the flyer with the quilt on it.   






I'm still trying to wade through Jane Green's  Sister Stardust.  I am not relating to Claire or Cece as she prefers to be called. 




We are still watching THE OFFER on Paramount +.  




We have one last episode and are waiting for an evening when we are all available.  We watch it in sync with our son in California and our daughter and DH and me in Wyoming.  DH and I and just our son  are also watching Season 3 of For All Mankind on AppleTV+.  




Daughter didn't watch Seasons 1 & 2 and doesn't want to catch up. 

Tonight, we will probably watch Thursday Night Football. The Denver Broncos are at home. We are disappointed in the season so far. But to be fair, it's a building year. New coach, new Quarterback, lots of new players. It will take some time. 



This happened Wednesday morning. This is only the 8th time in 258 games that I guessed the word on the second try. 








LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color hosts this fun place to tell your likes and maybe even a bit of  of something you don’t particularly like.    This summer she has been adding some prompts. Today..
let’s talk about APPLES!    My favorite apple used to be a Jonathan. It was crisp and tart to taste and was a pretty shiny intense red! But in recent years we have discovered Honey Crisp. A combination of tart and sweet. Still crisp but a bit easier to eat. Mr. Busy and I are big apple lovers.  We often eat them fresh, sharing one,  with lunch.  Mr Busy is the official apple cutter. . He likes wedges with salt and lemon juice. I like mine that way too , but sometimes just salt, sometimes with peanut butter, or chunks of sharp cheddar.  Lately a friend recommended Cosmic Crisp apples. They are good too and not quite as expensive as Honeycrisp. 

Apples do grow here In Wyoming, but we don’t have a tree. A friend will share hers if she gets a bumper crop. I have made crabapple jelly in the past. Lots of crabapples in our small city. And the ones on public lands are free for the taking! If you are up for the work. 

I like apple pie, apple crisp, apple butter, apple cake, and especially my Mom's apple coffee cake. Very simple, really good!

Apple Raisin Coffee Cake
9X9 pan

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening ( my mom always baked with Crisco, but you can use 1/4 cup softened butter)
1 egg
Mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup of milk
Sift together, then add  1 1/2 cups flour
                                      2 teaspoons baking powder
                                      1/2 teaspoon salt
Add last: 1/2 cup raisins
Pour batter into a 9x9 pan. Arrange apple slices ( either peeled or unpeeled) in a fancy design on top of the batter. Then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon mixed with 2 Tbls sugar. 
Bake at  375 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut in 9 pieces approx 3" square. 

                                   

Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy!




8 comments:

  1. Apples and raisins are always a great combo. That cake sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a yucky looking toadstool! But a beautiful quilt for the state quilt guild - I love star blocks. I think a lot of us like Honeycrisps! I haven't tried Cosmic Crisps, but will now. I love apple slices with peanut butter or cheddar cheese - that always made a good work day lunch. Look at you with the Wordle - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, I got Marsh in two tries yesterday too!! Today's took me five... How much fun to watch shows together/apart. :-) What a teensy-weensy HSTs star block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what kind of mushroom it is. Mushrooms are so interesting. Have you watched Fantastic Fungi on Netflix? It is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your header...I keep wanting to make a maple leaf quilt and as a Canadian really must! How nice that your family watches these shows together. I never knew there were so many different kinds of apples. Thanks for sharing that recipe which sounds so good...writing this at night in bed and feeling a bit hungry, :). We just got Apple tv so I will look up For All Mankind. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I 've never eat apples with peanut butter. Have to taste this. Your cake sounds to be delicious, I am saving your receipe. Thanks Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Honey Crisp for eating - and I like them just like you do - and Braeburn and Jonathan for baking. I think it is so neat that you sync watch shows with your family. Congrats on Wordle! Enjoy your weekend Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not heard of Cosmic Crisp; they would be fun to try. I'm reading a book that's not grabbing me, either. I am pretty sure I'll be stopping, since it's a long one.

    ReplyDelete