Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 26, 2025

Stay At Home Round Robin. Round #6

 



This week’s hostess for the last round of SAHRR, is Emily from Darling Dogwood.  Emily suggested the kite block. I perused the internet, You Tube, some books I own. My blocks need to be 3” finished. Most pieced blocks I found were paper pieced. I did find one I could copy for free, but I don’t really like paper piecing. Then I found a tutorial using a square and two rectangles to make a 6 1/2” block. I thought, I should be able to just do 1/2 measurements. Maybe cut a smidge bigger so there is wiggle room for trimming. Then last night while reading emails and blogs, I ran across Diann from Little Penguin Quilts’ post for Midweek Update!  Hooray. She’s doing little kites too!

She used a 4” square and 2 rectangles 2.5” x 5”. So using the tutorial from Scrapdash.com, called Catch That Kite, and Diann’s adjustments, I cut squares and rectangles. I did a test block because it’s a bit fiddly. 


I won’t accidentally use this one in this Christmas themed quilt!


Then I proceeded to sew 4 kite blocks, 3 1/2 “ unfinished. I’m using the same colors, cream, reds and greens. Varied pairs of kites. 



Which way do  you like them? Skinny points touching or fat bottoms ( actually the top of the kite) touching?


I’m linking up at The Darling Dogwood. If I get the rest of the kites done and complete the border, I’ll edit this post. 

Left border, pieces stitched together, not attached. 

bottom border, pieced but not attached.


You will have to wait for the Parade, on March 24th.  I ll construct a backing  and then try to find an available quilter. If not, it will have to wait its turn. 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy and Hopeful!



6 comments:

  1. Both ways look good. The green arrangement is more of a delicate look and the red arrangement is a heavier look. So it just depends on the look you like best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that tutorial and my measurements worked for you, Judy! Your kite blocks look great in those pretty greens and reds. I think I'd like to make a whole quilt of kite blocks with four of them forming a star together! It will be fun to see how you use those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what pretty kite blocks. You are doing splendidly with this challenge, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. I like the kite tops touching. Making a practice block was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your alternating colors! Both orientations look good. I think my favorite is the skinny points touching the part of the quilt already made--green in the photo. It will look fabulous either way! Emily @ The Darling Dogwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well as you can see from the edit, I went with the pointy tips toward the main body of the quilt and I like how it looks.

      Delete