Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 26, 2021

Table Scraps Challenge for February 2021





 What to do , what to do!  Your coffee corner looks messy. Mr Busy has started some new meds and must leave them near the coffee pot so he remembers to take them.  The little knitted dishcloth, turned mug rug is not doing the job. Oh oh......table scraps challenge to the rescue!



It should be yellow and maybe red, cause there are barns in your kitchen.



A friend has donated a whole pile of string pieced 4 " squares in really pretty batiks. Some yellow, some yellow and red, some orange (a cross between yellow and red) and some green ones too.






 Pick the yellow ones! Not quite enough, add some orangey ones. Well! That’s kinda happy, Gramma Judy. 

Put them together with a part of a FQ in a contrasting navy blue.    Suddenly a 18" square. That size will be just right!  Now to find a backing and get this sunshiny happy square quilted and put to use! 

I dug through some donated yardage. Lots is blues, purples! Way at the bottom, the perfect smiley face! 


I quilted with my go-to #4 stitch on my machine...lengthened to almost 4.0 and as wide as it will go. Be sure to change to a walking foot or at least the #1 foot, or you’ll break a needle! Ask me how I know! !



I used yellow thread on most of it, but switched to navy in the sashings.


I found a dark navy ,really pretty batik!  The perfect binding for this coffee center mat! I cut the strips 2 1/4" and attached it. 

And it's done!

The back with the smiley faces. It looks a bit wavy, but that is where it was folded in my go bag!  It really lays flat!


In use!  Much better that crowding all the stuff on the knitted dishcloth. 


Even Mr Busy commented!  "It looks really good!" Room for his meds, my meds, my dry creamer, 
a stack of coasters, and a jar of coffee stirrers. The tiny barn in front of the electric tea kettle holds packets of artificial sugars! And the big barn holds K-cups!  I'm a happy girl!


I'm linking up with Table Scraps Challenge hosted by Joy at The Joyful Quilter. Join the others that will share their table scraps projects the last week of every month. So FUN!!!!!! I’m also linking up with Alycia at Finished or Not Finished Friday. It’s the only project that I finished this week! 




Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy!







14 comments:

  1. Isn't it great how a scrappy table topper can do so many things--lift your mood, organize the meds, and provide a colorful start to the day. Winner! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story of leftovers made into a useful table topper. I like the addition of the bright colors. Great job and now, on to the next one... well, on Monday we can move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, nice, Judy!! You have greatly improved your coffee station. Fantastic use of those gifted quilt blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will make your day shine your day, everyday, Judy. It's a lovely topper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to start taking quite a few medications on a very regular basis 33 years ago and I keep them in a small plastic box by the kitchen sink - it is right next to the area to prepare meals, clean up etc - one never forgets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect way to bring beauty and organisation into your home. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bright topper to enjoy every morning. I have a small pitcher for the dog food and use different mug rugs to sit under it. Always brings a smile and I change it out with the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love that, Judy! It's pretty, happy, and definitely perfect for that spot! Great way to use those string blocks. (I keep my meds right by the coffee pot, too, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to make the corner look brighter! I love the colors you used for this table mat! Very cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it looks amazing!!! What a great idea - and those smiley faces are perfect for this happy little Piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cheerful place for sleepy eyes to land upon -- perfect way to start the day! And it's reversible! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. So festive. Your coffee corner looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please be careful taking meds with a hot beverage. Some meds will melt and go into for your body too fast especially blood pressure meds or slow release meds.
    Your mat is so cute and colorful. And if there should ever be a spill it will catch it.

    ReplyDelete