LeeAnn at Not Afraid of Colorsuggested this prompt for today:
favorite herbs/spices
Your most used spices or herbs... what do you seem to use over and over?
how do you store spices and herbs? jars they come in, special holders, etc.
ex: I LOVE fresh ginger, and keep the root in our fridge, along with fresh garlic cloves
I use Garlic a lot! I prefer fresh garlic, but somtime in a pinch I use jarred garlic.
I also am a fan of rosemary, dried. I really want to grow rosemary next season. It doesn't survive in our winters and will need to be brought inside. But the Herb Festival I attended in August said it was very successful and easy to do. So I am going to tryl
I have grown basil. Love doing that. I use it fresh and then preserve it by chiffonading it and freezing it in olive oil in an ice cube tray. Great in sauces all winter.
I have a plethora of jars and containers for spices. I wish I could be more organized, but I am not. I use the jars they come in and have decanted into small Tupperware spice keepers, especially if I make my own spaghetti seasoning, or chili seasoning.
I'm off to stitch with my Thursday Stitchers group. I'll be back later today, to read and respond to all who participate in I LIKE Thursdays!! Thanks LeeAnna!


Hi Judy! Have fun with your stitching group. I think most people use garlic in their cooking, although I use it sparingly. I'm not a huge fan but I know the value it brings to so many recipes. Happy Thursday, friend. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne
ReplyDeleteI've been using a little more fesh garlic lately, too - especially with making those dill pickles a few weeks ago. Hope you had a fun stitching day, Judy!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your last post and was very interested in how you are finishing off your Rainbow Neighbourhood so nicely. I have spices that need to be ditched...I buy them and then forget to use them esp. the savoury ones. I use a little garlic in certain sauces but have to be careful as I'm a tiny bit sensitive to it. But I love Italian food so when in such a restaurant I ask for no extra garlic because I've been told they put extra on at the last moment. Hope you two will have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteWe like garlic too, and we use garlic powder as well as fresh. I'm embarrassed to tell you I have a beautiful lush basil plant that has not been used at all this summer. Shame on me!
ReplyDeleteCan't beat garlic in book either! Keeps the vampires away - Haha! I've grown garlic before and that reminds me to do just that again this year. Very easy to do. Good luck with the indoor rosemary. I've never had any luck with that.
ReplyDelete