Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 28, 2023

ABC Table Scraps Challenge for April. Purple, Y and/or N




The Joyful Quilter hosts a challenge every month coordinating with So Scrappy's color of the month plus an added prompt or challenge.  This year she has been adding letters of the alphabet.  April's color is purple, and Joyful added the letters Y and N. 


So I put on my thinking cap and decided I could make a placemat in purples. I purchased a Go Big AccuQuilt cutter with some "windfall dollars" and it came with a die to make flying geese. Well, heaven knows I need help with flying geese!  I would have told you that my problems were probably with  accurate cutting.  Now, I'm more prone to believe it's accurate sewing!  Anyway. I cut purple and a floral purple for contrast and made geese with purple sky and some with floral sky. I used a pattern , sort of, provide by Accuquilt.  I fudged with the center square, because I ran out of the floral scraps that I was experimenting with. 





I backed it with a mini lavender and white gingham or is it called baby gingham check? I quilted it with some fankenbatting made at the Spring Sew last week and a tighter serpentine stitch, cause I liked how it looked. Then the binding was built by striping some cut off triangles into 1 3/4" strips. The strips were short, lots of joining seams, but luckily no seam landed on a corner! Whoo Hoo!




Now, what do I do about the "Y" and the "N"?  I have a placemat that is mostly purple, the floral has a yellowish background.  So......how about a set of YELLOW NAPKINS!!!  OK!  Judy!!   You can do that!  Diann at Little Penguin Quilts just talked about a double sided napkin tutorial a few days ago.  Yep, here it is. from Made with Moxie


Yellow side of the napkin on the left and the yellow with a bit of purple on the right! 


Linking up with The Joyful Quilter on the last weekend of the month! 



Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy and Hopeful!



6 comments:

  1. That's a pretty placemat, Judy! Perfect for playing with your new Go cutter. I know I am not particularly consistent with my seam allowances either - why do you suppose that is, after all these years of quilting? Your napkins look great, too! So glad you tried the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Judy!! Kudos for using your cutter and trying out the pattern that came with it. Your purple and YELLOW placemat is SEW pretty! Thanks for playing along with the ABC Table SCRAPS Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well how cute is this!!! Great job, Judy. Woo Hoo on using the Accuquilt as well. I am going to have to invest in one of those someday. Love the cheery napkins as well. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie (Annie’s Musings)April 29, 2023 at 6:03 AM

    A great way to get a new placemat and perfect contrasting napkins for enjoying a meal! Funny how we always think our imperfections might be one thing then they turn out to maybe be another instead. We all know that so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun placemat and love the napkins. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, what a great placemat - the yellow napkins work well with it :-)

    ReplyDelete