Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 8, 2019

A finish and a not quite finished.

Finally a finish!

One of my projects for February was to make 4 bowl cozies. I completed the top for my sister's comfort quilt . It's a pattern from the Oct/Nov 18 issue of McCall's Quick Quilts, called Bonfire by Scott Flanagan. I used my own set of batiks and cut them to 2 1/2" wide. So the colors are my choices, but the design and the original colors instantly made me think of my sister.


While I waited for my long armer to return from her vacation in Florida, I started on the bowl cozies.
I sorted through my larger chunks,  and tried to come up with fabrics that matched the intended recipients. The pattern calls for 10" squares and 2 10" squares of COTTON batting. In the past I have trouble with the bulk of 2 layers of batting and 2 layers of fabric, when it comes to sewing them together and turning them inside out , then top stitching. In fact, last night as I finished them, I broke a needle.  A new needle, UGH!  I made an extra cozy and this time used batting cut at 9.5 inches square. I like that better for putting it together and I hope it works as it is used. We will see.  After I posted about the bowl cozies in my February OMG Link Up , I got a comment from Lori in SD, regarding plate cozies. I have not heard of them before, but I am going to give them a try. 14" squares and shallow, barely there darts!  I'll report back on how they go!



Waiting in line!  I did these in a sort of production line way. I did each step, 4 times. I found it cumbersome to use my ruler to mark the darts on each piece, so I rummaged for a scrap of lightweight cardboard. ( I took apart a "Kleenex" box) and cut a template.


It's not pretty, but it worked great. I just made sure that the original corner was square, then did the 1" and 2" measurement and cut off the triangle.  Much faster.

Stitched, turned, top stitched and ready to mail!

Insides
 Yes, there are 5. The one with the smaller piece of batting matches the two I made for my granddaughter and her fiance, so I'll send them 3.  They have a house mate, so maybe sometimes they all eat together!
Outsides. (the white one here as the same teal outside as the one in the lower right hand corner)


I will be linking this post at Myra's Finished or Not Friday!  ps: I almost forgot to come back and add the link!  
and Can I Get A Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict!




Stay Busy and Stay Happy

1 comment: