Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 6, 2023

I LIKE Thursday. Easter baskets, Easter Bunny





LeeAnna’s prompt for today:


most of us were raised with the fun spring idea of an Easter Bunny.... and a basket of goodies

"do you have any fun or special memories of getting or giving an easter basket? What was in it? Was it covered in that shiny see through crinkly paper and candy sitting on that paper grass? Remember that wall of easter baskets in the front window of the dime stores ? Did you do easter egg hunts in the yard, and did you love it? "



By Wendy Slattery - originally posted to Flickr as Easter Bonnet, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4246552


I love this Easter Hat!!!  Wish people still wore Easter Bonnets these days. Of course, around here you might have to tie it on with your muffler!!!

Always we had a small Easter Basket. Always there was an Easter dress and hat, new shoes and maybe gloves. Not that there was lots of money, but the dress was then my dress to wear to church all summer and the shoes too served that purpose. Later, my mom sewed matching  dresses for my sister and me and sometimes they matched a dress she made for herself. One year she even sewed matching shirts for my dad and two brothers that matched our dresses. Blue and white gingham!!  Every knew we were the Thompson family at Canyon Lake Methodist Church. 

My mom was always practical with things in the baskets (which were recycled from year to year). Always crayons, coloring books, new socks, jelly beans and maybe just maybe if Dad had a good year, a chocolate bunny. To this day, socks are in Easter baskets, bottles of bubbles, crayons and coloring books or colored paper. Socks and craft supplies for the big kids. 


So Fun Stuff in my area!  Can you guess?


 


Food:

Sunday for the Birthday Brunch I made a breakfast casserole. It’s a recipe from my son!




Hash Brown and Egg Casserole




Prep 15 m

Cook 1 h 20 m

Ready In. 1 h 40 m


Ingredients

1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed

1 pound pork sausage


1 small onion, diced

5 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

salt and ground black pepper to taste

(I also added some red pepper flakes and some chipotle seasoning from my spice cabinet)

12 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Place the hash brown potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.

Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook and stir the sausage and onion until the sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and pour over the potatoes. Layer with half the Cheddar cheese, the 

sausage mixture, and the remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove cover; return casserole to the oven and bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.




I also served fresh fruit bowl, purchased blueberry muffins, my moms orange jello salad, and of course beverages.


Monday I had a pound of ground beef and no inspiration. So I googled Ground Beef and Rice recipes.

Luckily all the ingredients were in my pantry. Mr Busy declared it a keeper!
We finished it Wednesday evening supper. I’m a lucky girl, Mr Busy isn’t a fussy eater and doesn’t mind leftovers!

 Monday night it snowed again. In total we got, nearly 6 inches. I haven’t seen an official total for us, but Casper Wy, 2 hours south of us got a record of 26.7 inches. The biggest snow total ever recorded in a single day!

The view from my friend’s front door. He had already been shoveling!


Our taxes are done! Nothing due the IRS! Phew!


Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy and Hopeful!




6 comments:

  1. Your Easters growing up sound just like mine! We always had the same basket - yes, reused from year to year. My mom, too, was very practical - sewed all our clothes and my sisters and I would have matching dresses. Can we be done with the snow yet? Hope you're headed for some nicer weather this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about hats! In one of our old photo boxes is a picture of me and Granny when I was probably 10. I am decked out with a frilly, petti-coated dress, white gloves, and a little hat that fit the top of my head and almost looked like a fancy headband - not sure what those were called. Granny had her hat and gloves too. I think I had white socks. I was so happy! I'll have to find that to post for next Easter.
    That casserole sounds yummy - thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe looks good. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness! A mountain lion! Our Easter baskets were simple - eggs, a chocolate bunny and malt eggs. Wow - more snow! I hope you see spring soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I remember having the same situation with my Easter dress. It too became my Sunday church dress! Mountain Lion! Yikes! I'm so sorry you are still getting snow. Hope if you were experiencing drought that it at least helps with that. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh my comment went away, again, checked today and so I went to a different provider. Easter bonnets... let's bring those back. We got snow twice last week too. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete