Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 17, 2023

Finished or Not Finished Friday- PQ 14.6







I’m linking my finish for this week at Finished or Not Finished Friday hosted by Alycia Quilts. 

I worked mainly on the final challenge for Project Quilting.
I’ve included the link to Persimmon Dreams at the bottom of this post. 



Project Quilting 14.6. CONQUER A FEAR







I have always maintained that there are three words that strike fear in my gut when it comes to quilting. They are  TINY
                 PAPER PIECED
                 TRIANGLES

That being said, in 2019 I participated in a Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy called Tiny
 Tuesday.  And I completed the blocks. But I was never completely satisfied with the Storm At Sea block that Angela presented.  So I will do it again.  Hopefully, 4 years of experience of doing different things will make this try at a 4.5 inch Storm at Sea block a success. 

I tipped the scales a bit in my favor by using a white fabric and 3 different green/ blue batiks. No right or wrong side to confuse me!  And I used a #70 needle and a finer 50 wt Aurifil thread.  My regular thread says it is 50 wt, but the Aurifil feels so much finer. My block did not turn out 4.5” though. And it looks rectangular here, but it won’t press flat with the papers still on the back. 


I think the paper pattern has grown as I made more copies. It doesn’t need to fit with others, so it will be fine. 

I found the perfect backing fabric!  Looks like a stormy sea to me! 




Done!  I did some wavy quilting with light blue thread at seam lines and then down the center. It is bound in the same dark blue batik that is the middle square in a square. 


Turn this 1/4 turn and the quilting looks sorta like waves. 





It's on my wall with the Pink Tint entry and two other things I love!  Do I love it? Maybe not love, cause I can see the mistakes! But I like it and I may be over my fear of paper piecing! Well, almost!  Still not a fan of tiny,  especially  not fond of tiny triangles.  Maybe I should try a different pattern. 


I'm linked up with Kim at Persimmon Dreams! 

And today I’m linking up with Alycia for Finished or Not Finished Friday!




Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy and Hopeful!


5 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that little quilt, Judy! You made me laugh when you said your fears were tiny, paper-pieced triangles! (Me, too!) Such a good idea to use the batiks to make it easier to piece. I think that's a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful piece Judy! I love paper piecing and I'm so glad you challenged the fear. Look what you have now, I love that wall hanging! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super cool!!! What a pretty block, and the colors you used are so stunning!! Go you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job keeping up with every challenge! yea for both of us, because of getting it done!
    I can't relate on that particular fear as I adore paper piecing, even tiny things... heh heh
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I sure love your collection of minis Judy! This one is darling. I found a new love for paper piecing when I did Joanne’s (Canuck Quilter Designs) Snow Along, pp snowflakes! She showed us the freezer paper method which results in no tearing off papers! I have a tutorial on my blog as does she! As for your mini, I do not see any imperfections—it looks pretty perfect to me! Great choice to use batiks too, so crisp with little fraying.

    ReplyDelete