Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 16, 2023

Project Quilting 14.6. CONQUER A FEAR







I have always maintained that there are three words that strike fear in my gut when it comes to quilting. They are  TINY
                 PAPER PIECED
                 TRIANGLES

That being said, in 2019 I participated in a Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy called Tiny
 Tuesday.  And I completed the blocks. But I was never completely satisfied with the Storm At Sea block that Angela presented.  So I will do it again.  Hopefully, 4 years of experience of doing different things will make this try at a 4.5 inch Storm at Sea block a success. 

I tipped the scales a bit in my favor by using a white fabric and 3 different green/ blue batiks. No right or wrong side to confuse me!  And I used a #70 needle and a finer 50 wt Aurifil thread.  My regular thread says it is 50 wt, but the Aurifil feels so much finer. My block did not turn out 4.5” though. And it looks rectangular here, but it won’t press flat with the papers still on the back. 


I think the paper pattern has grown as I made more copies. It doesn’t need to fit with others, so it will be fine. 

I found the perfect backing fabric!  Looks like a stormy sea to me! 




Done!  I did some wavy quilting with light blue thread at seam lines and then down the center. It is bound in the same dark blue batik that is the middle square in a square. 


Turn this 1/4 turn and the quilting looks sorta like waves. 





It's on my wall with the Pink Tint entry and two other things I love!  Do I love it? Maybe not love, cause I can see the mistakes! But I like it and I may be over my fear of paper piecing! Well, almost!  Still not a fan of tiny,  especially  not fond of tiny triangles.  Maybe I should try a different pattern. 


I'm linking up with Kim at Persimmon Dreams! 



Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy and Hopeful!




5 comments:

  1. Your wall looks pretty good with your new addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, now I want to make a Storm at Sea block! Yours is gorgeous and what a perfect backing fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The backing fabric is perfect, and I hope that you find more ease with each paper piecing project you work on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it turned out so pretty. I love the backing, and yes it is perfect. You did a nice job with the quilting too. It looks really nice there on that display wall.
    For me, anything under a 6 inch block is tiny. I tried my hand at some 3 inch and 4 inch blocks in a sew-along awhile back and "geez" was shouted every other minute. I now run screaming from anything "tiny".

    ReplyDelete