Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 17, 2023

Project Quilting 14.4.

PQ 14.4
February 12 noon CST to February 19 noon CST




 Welcome to Busy Hands Are Happy Hands. And welcome to the wonderful world of Project QUILTING hosted by Kim Lapacek @ Persimon Dreams!!  Trish Frankland @ QuiltChicken is the creator of the crazy challenges that participants will face during the next 8 weeks. Trish picks the challenge prompts because that allows our hostess, Kim L. to participate just like the rest of us.


This is my 1st year of participation in the Challenge.

We can blame Joy at The Joyful Quilter for this madness added to my somewhat stressful life. I admired from the wings all her creations in this challenge and she has been a supportive friend as I have tried to spread my creative wings. She has a willing and very creative partner. Her friend LeeAnna @ Not Afraid of Color joined her. And that continues this season too. Lee Anna has been an encourager to me via blogland. She is amazingly creative! 


This is my 3rd project. I missed the 1st week, because we were traveling . I may go back after the entire challenge is over and try to do the first one. It looked like a fun one and maybe I have an idea. But here are the links to 14.2 Pink TInt and 14.3 54 40 or Fight. This week the prompt from Trish is PQ 14.4 A Novel Project .

I’m linking up at Persimmon Dreams

The project should be inspired by a book or reading.  I couldn’t limit my project to just one book. I read all kinds of books. Current bestsellers, chick lit, cozy mysteries, biographies, autobiographies, Young Adult, even some thrillers . Our own public Library has been undergoing protests, threats and forced reforms due to a certain faction of our community objecting to some books in the children’s section of our library. Certain books have been pulled from the shelves, some have been relocated. The County Commissioner have forced the library to cut their affiliation with the American Library Association and the Wyoming Library Association. This appalls me!



 Several years ago I made this bag and a second one donated to the silent auction that the Friends of the Library holds every pre Christmas season as a fundraiser.

Side One:  I embroidered titles of some of my favorite books at the time, on some of the spines. 
Left to right:  ROOM, A Man Called Ove, The Fault in Our Stars, Elm Creek Quilts , (Your Cat and You, not a real title, but I couldn't come up with a cat title to use on that cat fabric!), Brown Girl Dreaming and Most Wanted.  None of these books are banned titles. 

 



Side Two




This time my mini wall hanging is based on this bag pattern. It was a free download in 2012. It is no longer available.
 



I had some text print fabric that has been in my stash for a while. It is excerpts from Anne of Green Gables. It’s my background. I elected not to piece the word READ this time and instead use appliqué.

The letters for applique were included in the pattern, I reduced them on my copier.





The backing fabric is some from a donation tub. I do like to read, so why not "smiley faces" and this time I put hanging triangles in the top two corners for a dowel rod and added a small pocket to the lower right hand corner(from the front). I will keep a list of the banned books I have read and also the ones I will read this year! 





The first I will choose is And Tango Makes Three. A children’s book written by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson. Illustrated by Henry Cole. 





Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy and Hopeful!




7 comments:

  1. Wow! I love all these projects! You go! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Tango Makes Three is such a sweet story. I hope you enjoy it. Your little quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy, caught up on your posts. Delightful header, btw. Love to see this stitching too. So sad to be banning books. The whole world keeps getting crazier is my old woman's thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag and the wall hanging are both pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, I'm so sorry to hear about what's going on with your library! I can't figure out why some people want to decide what other people's children get to read. Your tote bag is wonderful and so is your wall-hanging. It occurs to me that I have a couple of orphan bookshelf blocks that could be made into something! Meanwhile, I love knowing that you're reading banned books - but why is that particular book on the list? Off to figure that out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great project. I encourage my kids to read all books - even the "banned" ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your new wall hanging, Judy, but not the reason behind it! I just shake my head at the way some legislation seems to be going back in time instead of moving forward. Good thinking on adding a pocket for the list of banned books you've read!

    ReplyDelete