Pages

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 25, 2020

July OMG Bed jacket






Authors note: I wrote this post when I took the picture below! 

Today is 7-7-20. My great granddaughter’s  4th birthday! I’ve never missed her birthday. This is a first and I am a bit melancholy.  edit:  my granddaughter arranged a ZOOM birthday party. So we were able to talk to her, see her open her presents, sing Happy Birthday and watch her eat a unicorn rainbow cake!!

I did stay busy and finished my goal .   

It’s a tiny bit big. But it’s a bed jacket and I’d rather have it roomy than tight. It looks funny, I know.  It's short so it does not catch under my “tush” when I am in bed. The sleeves might be too long, but I’m going to live with it for awhile. I can always shorten them. My current jacket, that I wear at night,  has sleeves that pull up, and I constantly fiddle with them. So we’ll see. 



July started here. 


Then  progressed to pattern on fabric!



Following the directions I got the collar onto the jacket front/back. 


Then the front facings were interfaced and edges finished. 



Sleeves were next and I forgot to take pictures. Then the underarm side seams followed by the hem.
The pattern called for a ruffle on the bottom and on the sleeves! No , thank you! 

Last step is buttons and button holes. I have had this Bernina since November 2002. I've mended and quilted, made dolls clothes and little girl dresses, but I had never made a button hole. Had never used the automatic buttonhole foot. What better time to try?

So I auditioned buttons from my button containers.  

Purple-y pink, dark teal, limey-yellow or just plain old white?


I settled on the limey-yellow. Not too big, not too tiny and it looked just right to me. 

I studied the Bernina manual. I watched a couple of YouTube videos. I studied the manual again. Then I made a practice piece of flannel with interfacing inside, to duplicate the weight of the front facing. 
I had been using light grey thread for construction. I'm almost out of white and my LQS is closed for a week  the first part of July.  The practice button holes looked dirty using the grey thread. So after I was satisfied with the method of making the correct sized button hole. I re threaded my machine with the partial white spool. First button hole was a disaster!!!!  I had forgotten to thread the lower thread through the bobbin finger. A huge  SIGH and maybe a bad word...a workout with tiny scissors and my seam ripper, and the knot was removed. After that all the buttonholes went fine. And I patted myself on the back! (figuratively...I can't really reach my back to scratch an itch, let alone pat myself on the back! 





Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy



1 comment:

  1. Very nice! Congrats on your finish and thanks for being part of One Monthly Goal.

    ReplyDelete