Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 16, 2018

En Provence in the home stretch

En Provence was Bonnie Hunter's Mystery 2016. WOW, I love the colors. It has lots of pieces. I started out making just 1/2 the amount the clues suggested. Then at the reveal I discovered that 8 blocks was not the layout I wanted. So I made enough more for 9 blocks.  A setting of 3 X 3 with the sashing. This project was #9 on my APQ 2018 UFO Challenge. You can check out my challenge tab at the top of the blog.


I arranged all the blocks on my design wall.  Then I set about webbing per Bonnie Hunter's instructions. How do you web so many blocks?....the same way you eat an elephant. One bite (step) at a time. I actually did it in 3 columns. Partly due to the fact that I have a shoulder issue and it was easier to wrestle smaller sections together.


I'm glad it's not bigger, I wouldn't have enough floor space to lay it out!



Auditioning the strips of 5 patches for the border. I also have no idea about a backing or a binding. I had to move the coffee table to have enough room and still I am too close to the entertainment center!

When I counted the extra neutral 4 patches for the last border I was short. Luckily I still had my fabric sorted into plastic shoe boxes. So I set about cutting smallish 2 inch strips, for variety!  The top is 21 - 3 inch squares by 21 squares or 63X63. My math was flawed, I am short 4 squares ( the corners)!!  Back to the neutral shoe box!

The 4 patches are sewn in groups of 4, 6,  8, 10 to get some variety. I will work on these this weekend, it we don't get company. We leave for a week on the 21st and then February will be over!

I will be linking this to Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts and Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

Also I will post a photo of my progress on the APQ 2018 UFO Challenge Facebook page. I am glad to be in the home stretch. Because I quilt by check ( I hire a long arm quilter) it may be awhile before this one is completely done. Fixed income and retirement means I have to budget for large expenses and my birthday trip took precedence this year.

Stay Busy and Stay Happy


11 comments:

  1. Your En Provence looks beautiful! Such lovely colours.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, Judy! Such interesting fabrics. I'm working on a BH quilt right now, so I know how consuming they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My scrap stash is pretty varied. I decided to follow BH hints. If is reads neutral from across the room and is lighter that a brown paper bag, it's neutral! "giggle"

      Delete
  3. What a good addition the gold/yellow tone neutrals are to the overall quilt! I would be quite pleased if my mystery quilt had turned out so nice! I learned a big lesson deviating from the color scheme, and in turn, that was my sworn last mystery project. There's a bit of luck involved, and I think you got a good dose! Now finish up those four patches and get to the finish line. This one is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. You are a fabulous quilter and I love visiting and following your blog.

      Delete
  4. This is stunning. I'm always in awe of quilts from Bonnie's patterns. So detailed. I haven't tackled webbing but I like your idea of doing it in chunks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Webbing seemed like the way to go. I tried it out piecing the 9 major blocks. There are 25 3" blocks in each of those larger purple ones. That gave me some practice with the technique. Thanks for you comments.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow, that is just amazing! So much work in that one... I do like Bonnie's patterns too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big project. When it is complete, I will calculate the pieces. I might be surprised!

      Delete