2. It's the RSC2023 color for February Pink!✅
3. It's ABC Table Scraps Challenge for February Pink and M and V!!
Then I saw the prompt for Project Quilting 14.3 The 54-40 or Fight block
I had originally thought about the history of the block and the 49th parallel which is the border between Canada and the US. I didn’t have any Canada themed fabric so I discarded the idea. Luckily Barbara at Cat Patches, had the same idea and the necessary fabric to make it happen? Check out her fun and informative post here!
I did some research and found several variations of the block. Mine does not have a 4 patch in the middle and the green triangles in a square are light background fabric in my sample. I would have liked to try paper piecing the block, but could not find templates. I have the Tri Rec rulers in my supply bin. Purchased for a Bonnie Hunter mystery years ago. Luckily I kept the instructions that came with the ruler. I have a 3 ring notebook that has a section, marked Tips and Techniques, and the instructions were in a sheet protector in that notebook! Whew!
It's a square block, so in order for it to fit my 19 x 16 nightstand (many years old and scuffed on top) I would need to make it into a rectangle. Some simple math and seam allowance calculations later, I had a rectangle mocked up. Now what fabrics go where? I've had the pink fabric, with chocolate chips and sprinkles, for a long time, the brown is almost gone scrap. I did have to cut into yardage for the background, but that's what I bought it for...to use!!
The quilting is just SID and X's in the squares. Then some long X's in the side coping strips. Two shades of pink thread. One bright one, one pale one. I think it looks great. The backing is a scrap I had left from another quilt I made ( I can't, for the life of me, remember which.....I need to be better at keeping a quilt journal). I do remember it was bought on sale at a LQS before it closed.
And on the night stand……..
In case you are wondering, the puppy is a holder for my glasses. It belonged to my Grandmother.
I’m linking this post, first to Persimmon Dreams and the Project Quilting challenge due 2-5-23 at noon,
CST. Then I will link it to the first February ScrapHappy Saturday, and finally I’ll edit the post slightly and link up with The Joyful Quilter’s ABC Table Scraps Challenge.






Pretty fabrics in a pretty quilt.
ReplyDeletePretty pink table topper.
ReplyDeleteSo smart to use this project to meet so many goals. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteGreat to put beside your reading table. For these challenges, we have to make useful items that we like.
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful block, and the backing is gorgeous. It looks great on your table. Love the puppy, and how sweet it is from your Grandmother.
ReplyDeleteWhy not knock out 3 challenges with a single project? When you have a square and need a rectangle, coping strips can be SEW useful, Judy. Congrats on your trifecta quilt finish!!
ReplyDeleteYou checked off a lot of boxes with this little quilt, Judy! I love the pink fabric with chocolate chips and sprinkles! Great version of the 54-40 block, too. Love this finish!
ReplyDeleteYou did a great job, Judy! I love the puppy glasses holder and the book on your nightstand is a very good read!
ReplyDeletelove everything about this!
ReplyDelete