It’s Thursday! Time to share the good things. LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color gives us a place to come together.
FOOD:
Last Thursday I joined some friends for our Thursday Stitchers at our library! Our newest member is a young 30 yo. She a fabulous new stitcher, is completely computer/ tech savvy and she introduced us to Stroopwafles. This is the one I had warmed over a cup of hot coffee! So, so, yummy. Are you familiar with Stroopwafles?
I stopped by a friend’s garden on Monday and wandered around her yard. Her clematis are so pretty. The growing season is short here in the high country desert, so we celebrate any and all colorful growing things.
Remember the last day of the school year? Clearing out your desk in elementary school, or your locker in high school...Remember how you felt and what the first days of freedom were like?
I don’t have any specific memories of the last day of school! That was a very long time ago! I loved school, so I was probably a bit sad. But looked forward to reading and the Boolmobile coming to our neighborhood.
Tell us how you spent an average childhood day when school was out... sleep late?
probably but never til noon. I’ve always been an early riser. No AC so mornings were the best times
hang out with friends more?spend more time at the pool?
I had a job when I was 15! So not in HS. Maybe when I was in elementary school!
Stay up later watching tv shows not allowed during the year?
No. I’d rather read.
Visiting a relative every summer?
Every summer we, my siblings and I, spent a week at our cousin’s in a small town in eastern SD. We rode bikes, played canasta and whist on the living room floor, walked “downtown” it was 3 blocks, bought a Coke out of an old vending cooler. Fun times!
On Saturday I started on the June motif for Woven Wreaths. I finished it
while Mr Busy was gone on Tuesday afternoon, while listening to The Women on Audible!
Boy, is it good. I keep trying to remember what I was doing in 1967, 1968 and into 1969. The time period in the first 20 chapters. I was a young housewife and mother, and pregnant with our second baby. I was oblivious of all that was going on. I think. I knew about LBJ, the protests going on, the assassination of Martin Luther King and the Black Panthers. But I didn’t know anyone who was serving in Vietnam, male or female.
I can’t wait to continue the listening.
Today I’m off to gather with stitching friends. All the meeting rooms in our library are busy, so today we meet at the Golf Club. They have a small restaurant and welcome us to sit and stitch. It’s going to be warm so the course will probably be busy!
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


The stroopwafels look yummy - I wonder if any of our stores carry them. Your stitching group always sounds so enjoyable! Woven Wreaths looks great! I really liked The Women, but some of it is hard to read. Have a fun day, Judy!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your gathering of stitchers. I find myself longing for such a gathering. I used to have one but life changes.
ReplyDeleteThe week with your cousins - my sister just a year younger than I am, would go out to the farm and stay for a week or more and do exactly those things, except for the walk into town. We had to be driven, and invariably my. uncle would treat us four kids to a chocolate bar. We just planted a clematis this year (pink). That purple one is beautiful! I haven't read that KH book (yet), though the ones I have of hers I have really enjoyed.
ReplyDeleteNever heard of stroopwafels. Looks pretty good! Love the clematis.
ReplyDeleteAre the stroopwafels crispy? My Hubs' favorite snack used to be Cheez Waffies. They are no longer available, and he craves them. Stroopwafels have a similar look to the cracker part, so we considered them when we were hoping to make a version of them, but he decided they were sweet and wouldn't work. Now I'm wondering if they would.
ReplyDeleteI have those same kind of memories of school ending. I was sad about not getting to see my future husband every day, but I always enjoyed summer. Back then the heat didn't bother me! I had a job starting at 15 also. I made $1/hour working at a little dress shop called The Wayside. It was next to the drug store where my Daddy was pharmacist. Any money I made was spent on dresses in the shop. Good times!
the book sounds good. Oh the memories you shared... walking 3 blocks to a small downtown for a coke... simple and yet lush when done in quiet times, with good friends. sorry I'm late, doing my best
ReplyDeleteL.