Pages

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 25, 2020

October OMG! Yellow basket



 My One Monthly Goal for October was to make a scrap basket using a new to me method, 

I had very few crumb blocks leftover from making them in 2018 for  the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. So I took the bits I had and raided my 1.5” and 2” strip buckets! I lamented in an early October post that I was running out of yellow scraps and would soon have to dig into my bigger chunks! 

To the rescue...The Joyful Quilter! 



An envelope with many yellow scraps. I knew I would need binding for this technique and I knew I would add a handle. I sorted through the scraps and chose ones for those parts. Then started adding Joy’s scraps to mine to get my slab big enough. With a little help from Joy and her math whiz son, (she sent me the dimensions I needed), I got the puzzle pieces together! 



I pieced together some thinner poly blend plain yellow that had been given to me! I wouldn’t use it in a quilt, bot this application is perfect. I don’t have pictures of the quilting process. I used my QE Bernina and it was stressful and ugly. I am determined to practice practice practice! These kinds of projects are good practice pieces, 
The basket with joined side seams and the corners boxed. No top binding yet!
I thought I needed 

a little rigidity in the bottom, so I cut a piece of cardboard from a box and made a slipcover for it. Like a small pillowcase! 

Looking inside! 
The side seams....next time I’m going to try zigzagging over them. They don’t really bother me, raw like that. I just think I’ll try it! 
And done. The handle looks low but it really isn’t.
And now it is put to use ! That little goldish  scrap with 3  blackbirds is from Joyful, it deserves a special place. 

So my OMG is ✅ 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy




6 comments:

  1. Joy is a peach for sharing! Yellow is kind of scarce in my stash, too. Great slab turned to basket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely basket. I have to put it on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so wanting to make these colorful scrap baskets. I saved a post with a pattern. I dig and dig and dig some more when looking for certain colors. Just need to figure out how to have the time I want and need for all of the projects that I want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! Yellow is uncommon in my stash as well, because I don't buy yellow often. Purple is also scarce, because I use it all up when I purchase. I may need to make some baskets too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well how nice of Joy! Your basket is so bright and cheery. It's been great working with yellow this month hasn't it?

    ReplyDelete