My garlic knots have been kneaded into a flimsy or quilt top, if you prefer. I made this as leaders and enders for the last several years. I used Bonnie Hunter's technique and pattern for constructing the actual block complete with pressing directions.
When I got ready to put them together, I had a bit of a pickle! First I decided I did not want to do the sashing technique that was in Bonnie's pattern. Not because I didn't like it, but because it requires a design space to get the colors right. My design wall is smallish and was being used for my RSC 20 blocks.
Then I had a "senior moment" in laying out the blocks in the pattern that I had seen on pinterest. See this post.
Finally, I had them on the design wall in the arrangement I liked. I gave each block a label as to which row and which column, took them down to my machine and began sewing them together. Well, the pressing was a problem. Some seams did not nest as I wanted. Some I had to nudge, some I had to push and some just did not obey at all. Several intersections are off. A bazillion pins later, it is together. And now with a 3 inch border. I cut it a little large in case I wanted to cut it down a smidgen. Not sure yet, but my February OMG goal was to get it to flimsy/top stage and here it is..
If I had to do it over, I would not use the darker neutrals for the background. There are a couple that jump out. But this will "not be going to Paducah" as my guild members like to say, so I am satisfied. And every single piece including the border is from my stash. It was fun to remember the quilts that each of those little bits came from.
I am linking this post up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts, just in time. February Finish OMG.
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




Your garlic knots quilt is really pretty, the darker background blocks draw the eye around the quilt, I like it very much.
ReplyDeleteI love your Garlic Knots - I wish I had time to make all the quilts on my list
ReplyDeleteI think this came out beautifully--isn't amazing that you can sew the same blocks with the same measured pieces and have them come out differently? Happens to me all the time--I really like the background variations..makes your eyes travel around the piece hugs, Julierose
ReplyDeleteOMG Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteLove this. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.
ReplyDelete