Pages

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Scrappy Saturday June 15th




So June's color is Blue.  Navy or Med Blue is suggested. My scrappy sprout blocks had been partially constructed prior to the announcement of the color. So there is a bit of lighter blue in some of the sprouts. The contrast is good.




I may have posted these previously! This is what could happen if your 5 yo great grandson wants to watch you fix the strap on his reading pillow and bumps into the design board you hastily laid aside, but not "UP"!
Oh well, it was remedied very quilkly!


I made a couple more Bow tie blocks, then went back and checked my graph paper layout cheat sheet!  I only need  6 Blue blocks and I would like them to be a mixture of blues. So 3 dark/med blue will be good.


I have been working on Tiny Tuesday Blues.  The Grandmothers Fan block gave me the blues!  Or maybe a better description would be "the jitters".  I procrastinated, and procrastinated!  I happily made the 2nd Tiny Tuesday block for June from Cynthia's cute and well written tutorial.  I'ts the one on the right and as of now, does not have a name. I'm calling mine Town Square, until Cynthia picks a name officially!




I searched the internet for hints on paper piecing with freezer paper. A long time ago that method was taught at a retreat and this is the finished product. So I know I can "Do It".  But I had forgotten the fine points!


I was able to find a link to a free guide here. Thank you Rebecca!! So I happily printed the document and set about paper piecing the tiny blue fan!  When it came time to trim the fan arc, I again experienced the "jitters"!  Slow and steady, Judy. You can do this! I took Angela's advice and cut an oversize block to appliqued the fan to. Then I worried about turning under the edges. So I ironed the shape onto the back of the block and cut the shape including seam allowance. The seam allowance was generous, maybe 3/8 ".

Have you ever used the spray starch method for turning under edges for applique?  I remember seeing a friend and experienced quilter do it a few years ago. So I sprayed some starch in an extra laundry detergent cap, found a small soft bristled paint brush, turned on the iron and set to it!  You basically paint the starch on the seam allowance and press it over the pattern edge.  Sometimes a stylus works to keep your fingers out of the way.

Then I did the same for the small background piece that will be appliqued on top of the narrow part of the fan blades.


It is done!  A tiny bit wonky, but I am basically pleased.  See the photo above, next to the Town Square block.

I'm linking up to Scrap Happy Saturday. 

Stay Busy and Stay Happy






6 comments:

  1. great blue blocks! I have tried the starch method you talk of but mainly I needle turn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sprouts and bowties in blue! I think your TT blocks look great! I may try to redo my fan as a paper-pieced block, but getting the curves sewn correctly is what stopped me last time. I'll try your starch method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is the way I do my applique, too...i like how it comes out....
    Lovely sprouts and ties in blues hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great batch of dark BLUE scraps in your blocks!! I have friends who use the starch method of applique. I don't use it because I'm allergic... to applique!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Tiny Tuesday blocks. I also liked doing this week's block but have yet to tackle the fan block. I'm thinking about substituting a different block in its place. Way to persevere and get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your Tiny Tuesday blocks are both really cute. I've never tried the starch basting method. It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete