Last Wednesday it was time for another round on the SAHRR for 2026. Emily from The Darling Dogwood wrote this:
Welcome to round three of the Stay at Home Round Robin! It's my turn to set the prompt! This week, we’re taking inspiration from the animal kingdom! Any animal counts, from the smallest ant to the biggest of sharks. There are lots of ways to interpret Animal Kingdom. Here are some ideas:
- A block or unit named after an animal: Bear Paw, Monkey Wrench, Snail's Trail, Birds in the Air, Shoo Fly, Puss in the Corner...there are so many! Looking for something simple? There's always that classic quilt unit, Flying Geese.
- Applique of an animal
- Pieced block that looks like an animal
- Fabric that contains animals
It didn’t take me long to decide to do flying geese, or rather a variation thereof. I’ve been drooling over the Wandering Geese border. So I googled Wandering Geese quilt block. There were many YouTube videos. I knew I would need a video. I started with a video from Deb Tucker’s Studio 180 Designs from 13 years ago. Then I watched several others. They all used basically the same technique, told me that the goose square needed to be cut 1/4 “ larger than the background square. None of them mentioned how to figure how big the block would be, Deb Tucker mentioned a cheat sheet for different sizes. I looked, the 2 sided sheet was $8.95. YIKES! I stewed and waffled back and forth. I finally gave up trying to do the math by watching the videos several more times. I justified it, by telling myself that I have been wanting to do the Wandering or Migrating Geese, and clicked the download button, confirmed my payment and got busy .
These are not sewn together, the finished “block” is 3” X 1”. The side of my wall hanging so far is 15 inches tall. There are 13 geese pinned on the side. I need 2 more I think. Next I’ll try to sew some of them together. Tomorrow probably.
Tuesday 2/10/26
I’m linking this post up at The Darling Dogwood.
Stay Busy and Stay Happy and Healthy and Hopeful!





I think the Wandering Geese are going to be a great addition to your quilt!
ReplyDeleteI've always liked those wandering geese blocks, too, but I wouldn'thave known how to calculate for sizes either! The purples are so pretty in all your blocks, and I really love that pansy print. This is looking great, Judy!
ReplyDeleteWandering Geese are great on your border--good choice and looks like you figured how to make them. (I hope the two pages were densely spaced, so you got your money's worth!)
ReplyDeleteWandering Geese looks great as the border, Judy. I wouldn't have figured out the right size either, I hate math.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving your purple SAHRR--especially because I'm working with that colour this week. :-) I made strips of Deb's Wandering Geese one year for the RSC and it's a quilt I just love. Sometimes it's worth it to pay for someone else's time doing all the math-ing ;-) and I have a feeling you'll be using these in more than one upcoming quilt as they're such fun and add interest.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great border! And I love your purple fabrics.
ReplyDeleteI love those wandering geese Judy. Lately I have found a new interest in making geese, not a block I had played with in my earlier journeys, and now you have introdiced a new one to me. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI like all those purples.
ReplyDelete