Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 26, 2019

OMG for April and A Finish!









I am so pleased that I have this platform to commit to a project and see it through. Sometimes I am like a squirrel that gets distracted easily. That is not always a bad thing, but having to be accountable really does work for me. I'm a "pleaser", my counselor trained sister would say!

I am not sure when this project was started. ( I checked the blog, it was 2013). It took me a really long time to make myself put the center of the top together. Here is a post dated 1-13-15, where I wrote about this quilt. Finding the "right" background fabric was a challenge. I think it is a bit light, but it is growing on me. I originally thought I would " tea stain" it. But now I am rethinking that. Anyway, long story, short!  The borders!!!

I finally had traced all the parts and pieces on to Heat and Bond lite. or Pellon Wonder Under 805  Then I started to pick green fabrics for the vines and leaves. Lots of leaves, lots of inches of vine. There is a bird = blue? or brown? There is a scissors = black? gray? or something else? What about the bud?  Pink? or red? purple? or yellow? Decisions, decisions!
This is the only photo I have of some of the vine. The directions say trace 13 of these and 13 reversed! 



So finally I decided to use OMG to keep me focused!  I committed to one border with  finished applique. When I opened the project box, a bit of a snafu!  I had fused some of the vines on the wrong side of a fabric. If using batik, that doesn't matter, no right or wrong side of those. But I had picked a few other green fabrics. The fusible is on the other side. This is the side that will be up in the finished project!




Shoult I re-trace and re-cut? Probably!  Maybe not,  cause sometimes the back of a fabric works just as well. So I tried cutting the vines out and laying them down with the others.  Eureka!!!  It's OK?  So, encouraged I continued and got the layout done and on the border fabric.



The first of the bud and 2 lengths of vine. The upside down fabric blends well!
 Laying on my ironing board. More vine, buds and a couple of hearts.


Then I was gone for almost a week, then there was Easter preparations! The Monday after Easter, I got busy. Selected thread, practiced the zig zag stitch. so I could decide the length and width. And actually wrote it down, because I knew that there would be no way I would get it stitched all in one sitting.

And now it is done. The ends of the vines at the top and bottom are not attached because they over lap the top border piece and bottom border piece. Some close ups of the zig zag. A little rusty, but getting better.


 Above you can see the upside down fabric on the pink buds. It's not bad!

 Stitch #2, Width at 2, length at 1. I used an applique foot for better viewing!

 Hearts and vine and leaf



 More leaves and vines. The bud holders here are the wrong side of the fabric!

 Some "flowers" and below my favorite purple flower.


Here is the border, laying beside the quilt. Not attached yet. The vines hang off the top and bottom edge. When the top and bottom borders are added, they will overlap and get connected. The piece is a tad long to allow for adjustment.

This is the right border! I have marked it with a scrap of fabric basted at the top. I have to make notes on everything these days.  "Senior moments"


And my April OMG goal has been met. Now to continue with the other 3 borders!  Another month maybe!.

I'm linking up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts. 

Stay Busy and Stay Happy



3 comments:

  1. Lovely border! Your zigzag stitches are great, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Patty’s OMG - isn’t it fun to discover the back side of fabrics are often the answer to just the right kind of shading...your stems turned out so well!! The border is so sweet and love the thread spool blocks.

    ReplyDelete