This project had been in my UFO basket since 2012. I had purchased these gorgeous Australian fabrics just for this bag.
I read the pattern, no less than six times, before I decided to find a different fabric for the handles of the bag. My fabric did not have enough contrast. Then I traced the pattern onto freezer paper and read the directions, yet again. IMHO this pattern is not well written. If I had not made 3 purses and numerous totes and zipper bags, I would have been totally lost. There is only 1 diagram in all of the directions.
I checked off each step as I completed it. I ordered D rings and magnetic closures from Amazon. I guess I could have gone to JoAnn's, but the weather has been rather Wintery and I just decided to order the supplies and some 45mm rotary cutter blades while sitting in my rocker.
There is fusible fleece fused to the main portion of the bag and the top curved section. Also the side panels, that are horseshoe shaped. No problem, I can do that! Quilt the main bag piece with a 2 " diagonal grid with lines 1/4" apart! What? Oh, look at the photo on the cover. OK! Can do!
The dark fabric is called Kangaroo Dreaming. Isn't it yummy? The contrast piece, not quilted, is called Women Dreaming. Also very nice.
Add the curved top pieces to the two ends of the main bag piece. Carefully, carefully, I pinned and stitched.
Look Ma, no puckers!!! Success!
From there it went downhill. I should have taken more photos but I was so disgusted at the way it was going together, that I just couldn't think of photos. Sewing the lining piece, went OK, but there were no marks as to where to stop and start sewing, how to ease the curved bottom piece. I think the top of the lining piece should have been interfaced to give it some stability where it attaches to the main front section. If I do this bag again, and there is "no way, Jose" that I will, I would interface that section. In fact, I plan to put this pattern on the giveaway table at the local NEW Quilt Show in October. Maybe I should add some notes to the original pattern. Certainly, there will be a EXPERIENCED BAG MAKER ONLY declaration!.
It is done and although, I did reinforce the back of the lining where the magnetic closures are inserted, it isn't sturdy enough and it sags. I may go back try to fix that somehow. I'll use it for a bit and see how it holds up.
I like the fabrics and it looks good. And it is a finish for this week and a completion for the APQ Challenge. Another UFO out of the basket! WIN WIN!
Stay Busy and Stay Happy
(or at least slightly satisfied)
I am linking this finish to Busy Hands Quilts: Finished or Not Friday and to








I love this bag, beautiful pattern, beautiful fabrics! Well done ;)
ReplyDeleteYou did such a nice job on this bag. Enjoy!!
ReplyDeleteOh dear you really did have a hard time, but in the end, you persevered and
ReplyDeletefinished your goal, so congrats!!
Congratulations, this is a wonderful bag!
ReplyDeleteLook at you ! All finished before the month is over! that is a great bag, glad you persevered!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I find it hard to give up on much....a book that doesn't grab me, a recipe that was a first time fail or a pattern that is hard to understand. I'm a tough old broad!
DeleteHello Judy,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your lovely comment about my sailing boats quilt. Wel I think your bag looks great, I love the fabric choices. It's hard to keep going when you don't find a pattern easy to follow too.
Our snow as gone now and I have put down my thriller and the crossword, I must also put down the chocolate brownies or I really will get a rounded bottom!!
Very best wishes from the UK
Sue
"smile"
DeleteYour fabrics are so pretty. I recently bought a pattern by this pattern maker and after reading from start to finish at least a dozen times, I am still totally confused at how it should be made. I have decided to scrap it. I don't think I will even pass it on. There are no diagrams to show what she is saying to do. An expensive lesson to not buy from an unknown source.
ReplyDeleteLesson learned here too. I think there are some great seamstresses in our area, that could probably get this one done with some of my notes and their own expertise.
Delete