Pages

Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 15, 2017

A Finish and a Family Additon


         I have been thinking about making a baby quilt since I found out my nephew and his wife were pregnant. It was such good news for this young couple. Earlier in the year, my nephew's wife lost her mother to pancreatic cancer. 

I waited until the parents-to-be found out the sex of their new little addition. As soon as they announced it was a boy, my brain thought " bluish" quilt. Then, when I checked with the new mom-to-be regarding nursery colors, I was smitten. She said blue, gray and mustard. She sent me this picture.
The new dad-to-be is a research biologist at a major university. So when I found the pattern Arithmetic by Jeni Baker, I knew I had a winner.  I first showed it on this post!

I cut the squares in preparation to take to retreat. I was able to lay out part of the plus signs on a small design wall at that retreat. 
It looks kind of rough here, but I got it all webbed and ready to finish. 




I looked for a different backing than I had purchased. A minky or a flannel or something cuddly. However, we live in a small town with limited choices. I decided ,after all, to stay with this fabric. It's the Savannah collection from Moda. It says Zest for Your Nest..which fits for a baby quilt. I think it looks like algebraic x's. Good for the back of an Arithmetic quilt, I think. 




And then my local long arm quilter and friend had back surgery. I wasn't worried, baby was expected January 4th. Next year.  Mid November,  I gave her the quilt top and the backing. We decided on a quilting design. I cut , pieced and pressed the binding. No hurry, we've got until the first of the year. Lynn and her husband traveled to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving with their daughter and family. I still said, " Don't worry, we've got time!"

She returned it to me on December 7th. I had just had word from my brother that baby was born on the 5th, 4 weeks early. Mom and baby doing well, but still a preemie.  My brother and his wife were there, house sitting for a cousin, so they could be close for Christmas, the new dad's birthday on the 29th and the babies arrival in January. Well, surprise! Surprise!!               

So I got busy. 
 Stitched the binding down while watching the last 2 episodes of Longmire. 


 Took a few pictures!
Here is up close of the quilting. I do not know the name of this pattern. I will have to check with my friend. I washed  and dried it too. It is all crinkly and cuddly now. 

And sent it off to the family on Monday. They should have received it by Thursday the USPS said. 

I will not share pictures of the little guy, that is up to his parents and grandparents. But he is tiny,  5 lbs 15 oz. He is home now and doing well. Finally out from under the bilirubin light and being able to be cuddled more. We are blessed to have this new addition to our family. 

So that is my finish for this week. I am linking up with 

Stay Busy and Stay Happy

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on such a miracle finish, and best wishes for the new family and their tiny bundle of joy. I hope he grows stronger every day and continues doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got more pictures from my brother and his wife. Baby is doing well, gaining weight and getting lots of cuddles. Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job, grammajudyb! So glad to know Baby is doing well. He has a wonderful custom-made quilt to sleep in.
    Cheers,
    Sylvia@Treadlestitches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I was able to get it to him, just 1 week after he was born. All reports are that he is doing well. It'll be a good Christmas in Minnesota this year!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the new addition!! And well done with getting the quilt finished early :) I am sure it will be loved - so much thought has gone into the design and colors.. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first quilt I have done that was all solids. Way outside my comfort zone, but I am happy with it. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. What a GREAT gift that is going to be!!! Lucky recipient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxious to get a photo of the little guy on the quilt. I have been promised!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful baby quilt. Kind of nice to know it is a boy ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more fun to know whether it should be boyish or girly. Gender neutral quilts are ok too, but parents nowadays want to know!

      Delete