This week, Brenda at Songbird Designs presented the suggested block for Round One. She had links to a great tutorial from Julie at the Crafty Quilter and a printable chart from Kristin Laura Designs with dimensions for lots of sizes for Quarter Square Triangles, a variation of the Hourglass. Scroll down to cheat sheets!
I trimmed my center block to 8.5” square. In my head I thought , purple first. So the hourglass sounded good. I did a trial block and I didn’t have my cheat sheet printed out. As you can see, they were too small by about an inch and 1/4. Total.
Enter more fabric and the cheat sheet. The 1/4 sq triangles that were too small are above. The 2 1/2” unfinished blocks are at the bottom. They aren’t sewn together or attached just yet. I’m going to wait and see what the next round is. I don’t want my finished project to be too big.
Here is a better photo.



I love both this start this year, as well as the SAHRR you did all in red, both with the embroidered block centers. It does create a different look than a pieced center, but the charm factor is really high!!
ReplyDeleteAfter reading through everyone's posts this Round One, several of us (me included) had to rework our maths for the hourglass -- you are in good company. I think the purple will be a great frame, and look forward to seeing what you'll do with the next round.
I love the purple, Judy! And the three color hourglasses make a great design, too. I'm not sewing mine together yet either - just playing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the creative ideas both in your block and in the comments.
ReplyDeleteSweet looking quilt so far.
ReplyDeleteThe purple is so pretty. The hourglass border works really well for your design!
ReplyDeleteYour hourglasses look lovely with your centre :)
ReplyDeleteAs a lover of all things purple, I loved your "purple first" comment! These purple units look so nice with your lovely embroidered center! They really look fantastic together.
ReplyDeleteI love your center block, it's so sweet! And the purple hourglass blocks are perfect... good idea to wait for the next round to see where you place them! xx
ReplyDeleteI love purple too, Judy! The hourglass blocks look great with your center. Thanks for quilting along with us.
ReplyDelete