The Sewing Center/Fabric City UFO Challenge has a list of themes for each month. Then I have to chose which item on my L-O-N-G list of UFO's fits the theme and get it finished in the month. Then I post a picture to the proper album on their Facebook page and they draw winners of coupons or fabric every month. That is good motivation for some, I just need the "peer pressure" to get busy!. The link above with direct you to their page on Facebook, the UFO Challenge is a closed group, so you are unable to see all the projects.
The theme for March is "Spring". I am not a flowery, spring color kind of girl. I lean toward fall colors, so that was a hard one for me. One of my UFOs was to make a Church Lady apron. The pattern is by Mary Mulari, a fequent contributor on Sewing with Nancy on PBS, Then I found an apron pre printed panel that I had cut out, ready to sew. IDEA! Back the bib apron panel with springy fabric and give to granddaughter #1 for Easter. Make the Church Lady Apron for me, to wear while cooking Easter dinner! I had some cute bottle cap fabric and a coordinating cross hatch print. Done!
The All People Quilt ( American Patchwork and Quilting) 2017 UFO Challenge goes like this. I filled out a chart, posted on their web site. Then at the beginning of each month, a number is posted on the challenge groups Facebook page. At the end of the month, I record the progress made on the ufo. It doesn't have to be finished. But can be, of course. #12 was drawn for March. Number 12 on my list was to finish a play/activity quilt for our first Great Granddaughter, Bella. The quilt stays at our house, so she has a safe place on the floor. I finished that too.
There is a strip added near the top, with taggies and loops to attach toys. The long looking piece is a striped ribbon I couldn't throw away. I added an empty plastic thread spool. She loved it. Near the bottom is a printed panel section left over from her brother's Winnie the Pooh quilt. I made small square fabric pillows and attached them to several pictures on the panel for a Peek-a-boo effect.
Last but not least I made a teething ring with bunny ears attached. It is fabric and toweling. Gives a great Handle to hold on to and catch the drool!
I am pleased to have these 3 UFO's off my list.
My other challenge is a local group I belong to. We do a project every 60 days. I posted about the first project, dice roll #5 .HERE.
I am posting these finishes to Crazy Mom Quilts' Finish It Up Friday! This post was written and published on the 12th, too late for Friday the 10th. So I am linking it today, the 17th.
PS: I finished a book too! Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb.







Your projects are beautiful! Isn't it wonderful when you finish something, especially something as lovely and practical as these creations? Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Julia! In my sewing life, I used to say that finishing is overrated....but it does feel good to get some things done. Finishing a book however is always a must. I struggle with "not finishing", even if I find it really awful! What's up with that?
DeleteGreat projects - all so practical. I love making things that I know are going to be used and adored.
ReplyDeleteI am an apron kind of girl, so I will use mine for sure. Bella loves her quilt, in fact her big brother had sort of "green with envy" eyes. I guess a busy book for him could be another project.
DeleteLove the activity blanket! I really should make something like that for the little one.
ReplyDeleteLove your activity quilt. I made several of those as Alzheimer's for the local nursing home. Very appreciated. I am impressed by the number of finishes you have. I don't have many UFOs. I like to finish projects about like you finish books.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I also have to finish books. For the moment, I am not reading enough, but I'll be retired soon. Hopefully, that means I'll be finishing many books! I'll have to check your blog for recommendations. :-)