Wondrous Words Wednesday is hosted by BermudaOnion each week. It's an opportunity to share new words you've encountered in your reading, or highlight words that you particularly enjoy.
The book I just finished had lots of wondrous words. Here are just a few.
Apparently the image of the little dead girl on the ancient alter had piqued someone's cultural tendencies. " A sacrificial virgin," I said. " A votary," said Cassie. page 82Votary : noun,
1. a person bound by a vow or promise, esp one bound to religious vows, as a monk or a nun.
2.a person devoted to a particular religion or object of worship; devout worshiper
3. a devoted or ardent supporter, as of a cause or ideal, etc.
4. a person who is devoted to any game, study or pursuit
As the story progressed, I think the author used the 3rd definition for the word votary.
The castle grounds were golden and nostalgic in the slanting late-afternoon light. Tourists in shorts and backpacks wandered past, gawking up at the crenellations.
page 251crenellation- noun : variation of the transitive verb crenellate:
to furnish with battlements or crenel, or squared notches.
Cassie's mood had shifted abruptly; the burst of ebullience had dissipated.... page 251ebullience - noun: zestful enthusiasm
....but The Squad has a deep, almost totemistic significance to him, and once he has resigned himself to back one of its members he backs him, or even her, all the way. page 388
totemistic-adj variant of noun totemism.
1. belief in totoems and totem relationships
2. the use of totems to distinguish kin or descent groups
3. social customs based on totems
I think the author was using definition number 2. The captain regarded the Squad as family.
All these definitions are from my online dictionary. Your Dictionary quotes various dictionaries.I am not sure I would use any of these words in my everyday speech. But it was fun to read them.
Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




I only knew votary as a type of candle -- cool to know the origin of that. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI think ebullient is a great word, I've always remembered it, as it's based on the French word for boiling, ie bubbly.
ReplyDelete