Sunday, October 18, 2015

Non Reading Quilting Challenge #4 Stonehenge Challenge.

Using the Scrap Crazy Templates I pieced the following quilt using Stonehenge fabrics that I won at a quilt retreat. I used this Scrap Crazy Template set. It was easy and fun. I used a pinwheel type of setting. 



The large pinwheel type blocks are made up of 4 of the small 6" blocks, so they are 12" square. I drafted the pattern on graph paper and colored it in so I could remember how it went together. Then I tried several sizes of borders.  Below I auditioned some different fabrics for the borders. I finally settled on brown. I scraped a bit but did have enough. The backing was some grey I have had in my stash for 11 years ( I know this because I used it on my oldest granddaughters graduation quilt.) Since there was not quite enough, I used the PINK shown below in backing. 


 This is another of the different fabrics. I did use this in some of the blocks to give it a punch of color. It is so varied that some of the pieces were green and some more peach.

I decided on dark brown for borders and will make a scrappy binding. This is a photo of the quilt just back from the long arm quilter. It needs to be trimmed and the binding added.
The basket is a door prize I won while we were at a RC Aircraft Fly In in Sheridan WY.  That is where the long arm quilter lives so I was able to pick up my quilt while we were there. 
Below is a close up of the quilting. 

And it is done! The binding is done, the label is on for display at our NEW Quilt Show, Oct 3rd. Then I will change the label to a more personal one and send it to my brother in a neighboring state. He recently lost his life partner and I feel he needs a Comfort Quilt. 



10/18/15    End note: I mailed it off to my brother, he got it yesterday. He called me with tears in his voice. He was touched. Even better, last week would have been Rhonda's 65th birthday and he says she would have loved it too. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful quilt and such a lovely idea to send it to your brother, love that he loved it. His wife was young!

    ReplyDelete