For the last several years I have been collection fabric with words on it, it anticipation of making her a quilt. She will have a degree in Creative Writing, I think. Anyway she does lots of writing and reading.
I finally decided on a pattern that I think will showcase the word fabric. It is called BQ from Maple Island Quilts
Here are some of the fabrics and the front of the pattern. I will make a 12 block quilt, with 12.5 inch feature block.
Some of the fabric is a newspaper print, one is an old postcard print, one is sewing labels. Just lot of words. I think I am going to call it Words Squared. I will continue to update this post as I progress. Wish me luck!
I have half the blocks assembled. I am having a bit of trouble. The patter assumes the fabric used in the large 12.5 " center blocks is non-directional, so I had to really think about how to add the side and bottom/top rectangle in order for the directional print of the fabric to remain readable. So it was not so important and it would have been easy to just use those prints as the odd ones, but the color balance was off if I did that. So here are pics of the first 6 blocks.
I hope to have all the blocks assembled before we leave for Arizona. Maybe even have some of the rows sewn together.
On another sad note, our local quilt store has announced that it is going out of business. I am sad but not surprised. It has been nearly 2 years since the owner suddenly collapsed and died and keeping the store going has been a struggle for her husband and daughter. Jenn has two small children and running a small retail store takes a lot of time away from family. My hope is that someone, somehow, will decide to open another store.
I finished the quilt for our DIL and put it in the mail. I always keep my fingers crossed when I mail something as valuable as a quilt. I had it quilted by a longarm quilter in Sheridan. Then it was bound and label made and off it went. She liked it.
My attempt to get the whole quilt in a photo. Not very successful.