Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tuesday Intros.







When summer comes to the North Woods, time slows down. And some days it stops altogether. The sky, gray and lowering for much of the year, becomes an ocean of blue, so vast and brilliant you can't help but stop what you're doing - pinning wet sheets to the line maybe, or shucking a bushel of corn on the  back steps - to stare up at it.  Locusts whir in the birches, coaxing you out of the sun and under the boughs, and the heat stills the air, heavy and sweet with the scent of balsam.

This is the first paragraph of "A Northern Light" by Jennifer Donnelly. It is the June read from Ladies & Literature on Goodreads. I need to start this soon, but am in the middle of "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This is a good story, but translated from the original, and is sometimes cumbersome.

Today, I will attend my local quilt guild. I hope to have pictures of "Show and Tell" and of our "lesson" - Attic Window. I am needing the camaraderie today.  

2 comments:

  1. This was an awesome book; hope you enjoy it as much as I did:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds beautiful! Thanks for sharing1

    ReplyDelete