Wondrous Words Wednesday is a place to share words found while reading or listening, or maybe even playing games. Write a post and link up with Kathy at BermudaOnion's Weblog.
I play 7 Little Words. After solving the scrambled tiles for
1) engage in a petty argument (6 letters)= bicker
2) political situation (9 letters)
3) uproar (8 letters)
4) exchange of punches= fisticuffs
5)angry dispute= quarrel
6)noisy brawl=fray
7)petty argument=spat.
I still had these sets of letters. ROW, IM, BRO, DY, IO, DOW, GL
When I finally guessed just by trying all combinations I came up with these words and the puzzle was correct. I had never heard either of these words.
#2 political situation = imbroglio
1: a confused mass
2a: an intricate or complicated situation (as in a drama or novel)
b: an acutely painful or embarrassing misunderstanding
c: a violently confused or bitterly complicated altercation: embroilment
d: scandal
#3 uproar = rowdydow
1: noisy excitement: hubbub, to-do
2a: a noisy disturbance or spirited contest: brawl, fight
2a: a noisy disturbance or spirited contest: brawl, fight


I've played that game a time or two but I'm not that great at it. Maybe because of words like that? I love rowdydow!
ReplyDeleteI am not great either, but occasionally I can figure out the last couple by using my English rules. Like LY is probably at the end of a word. Sometimes I have to log on to the Cheat site. "hangs head in shame"
DeleteI used to play that years ago when it appeared in the newspaper, but I haven't for a long time. I did just this week discover similar games on the Merriam-Webster web site!
ReplyDeleteI play on my Kindle. It's a free app. I'll have to check out the MW site. Thanks.
Delete7 Little Words is new to me. Is it a tile game like scrabble or on iPad? Imbroglio I've seen before but probably would have to guess at the definition. Rowdydow is new to me.
ReplyDeleteI play it on my Kindle. I am sure it's a free app for the iPad too. I have a friend that plays on her iPhone...so it must be there. It is kind of fun, a new puzzle every day.
DeleteAlso new for me also, interesting.
ReplyDeleteUsually the words are not so "wondrous". Sometimes I just can't work out the clue. But I am learning.
Delete