Tuesday, July 11, 2017

One True Thing by Anna Quindlen




I just finished this and wanted to share.



This is actually the first paragraph in the prologue.


"Jail is not as bad as you might imagine. When I say jail, I don't mean prison. Prison is the kind of place you see in old movies or public television documentaries, those enormous gray places with guard towers at each corner and curly strips of razor wire going round and round like a loop-the-loop atop the high fence. Prison is where they hit the bars with metal spoons, plan insurrection in the yard, and take the smallest boy--the one in on the first offense--into the shower room, while the guards pretend not to look and leave him to find his own way out, (...) the shadow at the backs of his eyes changed forever." 



I left out a particular graphic part of the last sentence. None of us need to read that to know what happened. Although this scene is intense and others are too, I really, really liked this book. I recommend it for all. We all can understand the mother daughter relationship between Kate and Ellen Gulden.

This is not a new book, probably many have read it. But if not, I think it is worth a look.


Til next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment