Tuesday, April 12, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Chili Queen





Every Tuesday is the day to share the first paragraph or two of a book you are reading or want to read soon. The event is hosted by Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea. Let's share!





 The Chili Queen
Sandra Dallas
St Martins Press  2002

one


As the train pulled into the shabby station
at Palestine, Kansas, the pinch-faced farmers and their wives in their rusty black-wool best lined up along the tracks like the teeth of a rake. In the Kansas heat, three boys slumped on an empty baggage cart in the shade of the depot, too listless even to tie a tin can to a cat's tail. A bitch in heat wouldn't draw a yellow dog under the sun, Addie French thought, as she shaded her eyes from the hurtful glare of the prairie, which was bleached the dirty white of worn underwear. She put a handkerchief to her nose, as if to block out the stench of sweat and barnyard and old pancakes that clung to the farmers' clothes. Although she had spent well over half her thirty-six years off the land, Addie never forgot the sour smells of the farm. She wiped her damp face and neck with a soiled handkerchief, leaving behind streaks of dirt on her wet skin.


What do you think?  Would you read on?  I am already enamored with Addie French and Emma Roby and I am only on page 13!



Stay Happy and Stay Busy

19 comments:

  1. I love the descriptiveness of the opening paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I especially like "the hurtful glare of the prairie".

      Delete
  2. Oh this looks fun. I like Dallas, but I haven't read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it is holding my interest. I really liked The Persian Pickle Club.

      Delete
  3. I have never read this author, but I love the way she describes the surroundings, making me feel and smell it all. Thanks for sharing...and I must check this one out. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    You don't have to read the Kellerman books in order...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can almost smell and feel the heat, can't you?

      Delete
  4. neat, I can feel the heat and smell around me! mine is here: https://francebooktours.com/2016/04/12/first-chapter-first-paragraph-the-sword-of-the-maiden/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is descriptive writing. I hope that part continues.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I'd read a bit more and then decide if I wanted to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. Sometimes it's hard to tell from just one paragraph.

      Delete
  6. I like the writing so far and would definitely continue. I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both Addie and Emma have story. I am anxious to find out.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I do love Sandra Dallas' descriptive writing. She makes me see what she is writing about. It's been a while since I read this book, but I still remember how much I enjoyed it. I hope it's just as enjoyable for you. (I don't think you'll like any of the characters, but its hard to beat the writing and the story.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I won't like the characters? Now I have to read more!!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. How descriptive! I've never read this author before but sounds like a good one. Added to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the author and this is one book I haven't read:) great pick

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry it took me so long to comment back...

    I love the writing in this excerpt! It's so descriptive! You can practically smell the smells, and feel the heat. I would keep reading. It sounds like the beginnings of a great friendship!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my own Tuesday Intros post!! :)

    ReplyDelete