Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Boston Girl - What's In a Name Challenge 2015

The Boston GirlThe Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Addie Baum begins to tell the story of her life to her 22 year old granddaughter, when Ava asks, "How did you get to be the woman you are today?"  Addie is 85 and begins her story in 1915, the year she joined the library group at a neighborhood settlement house for girls. It was there that she found her voice, and made friends with teachers and other young girls who would become lifelong friends.

I love how the story is told as a grandmother talking to her granddaughter. It feels private and personal and truthful. The chapters all have names, like What are friends for?, or How do you go on after that?, and It made me feel like a real Boston girl.

Ms Diamant tells an unforgettable story about family, remarkable friendships, and feminism from the POV of a young Jewish girl growing up in Boston in the early twentieth century.


View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by this author but I keep hearing wonderful things about her work. I think I'd love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a very touching book. I'm adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete