Tuesday, May 19, 2015

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday - The Ticket - Karen Schutt


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon.



The Ticket
Karen Schutte
Tate Publishing  2012

Decisions 1906

                                          Tell me not in mournful numbers, Life is but an empty dream!                                       For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not what they seem. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         "A Psalm of Life"

                                                                                                                   Henry W. Longfellow

Karl Kessel stood alone on the main deck of the massive passenger ship, watching the churning mass of humanity below him on the Bremerhaven dock. Some were passengers, waiting to board and some were people who came to say a final goodbye or to simple watch those who were leaving on the ship to America.  Karl thought it rather curious that the line of first and second class passengers stood patiently in well-organized queues, speaking only in low voices to acquaintances. He compared them to the unorganized mass of third class passengers which seemed to seethe with anxious energy and anxiety. 


This is the current selection for my Face to Face bookclub.  The author was born and raised in the Big Horn Basin of Wyoming. One of our members met her at a book signing and recommended this book and the two that follow.

I hope to get to this one soon. Would you read on?


Until next time,
Stay Busy and  Stay Happy









4 comments:

  1. fI really like the dramatic Longfellow poem at the beginning. I opening paragraph holds promise too. I like it when a book has a personal connection. A member of one of my bookclubs has a nephew who lives on a ranch in Wyoming next to C.J. Box. She had us read one of his books. I liked it but everyone else did not. It was a little touch and go at that meeting. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about this. Hope you like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with this book, but it sounds like an immigrant story? I'd keep reading... hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd have to read a bit more before deciding Judy.

    ReplyDelete