Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Review - 11-22-63 by Stephen King


This is the first book that I downloaded on my Kindle after Christmas 2012. I wasn't sure what it was about other than the title and the cover depicting the day President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I had read that it was not a typical Stephen King horror story. I have not read other Stephen King novels. All that being said, I did not get around to reading it until this month.

Mr. King takes a watershed moment in America's history and proposes what if that terrible tragedy on 11-22-63 could have been prevented? In this story we meet Jake Epping, a high school English teacher in 2011, an adult student in Jake's GED English class, Harry Dunning, and Al Templeton, owner of Al's Diner.

Jake is changed when Harry writes an essay about his childhood. How his father in a drunken rage murders his family. Jake is later approached by Al Templeton to explore the possibility of time travel. Al has discovered a "rabbit hole" and is set on changing the events of 11-22-63, but he is dying and cannot complete the task himself. Jake is intrigued and wonders if he can change the events in Harry Dunning's life.

Do we dare try if we could?  Will it open a Pandora's Box of more evil and other tragedies?  Jake's journey is a difficult one, but one he is intent on completing.

I liked King's writing. I am not alone there I am sure. There are no monsters under the bed, at least not really. King seems to write in a relaxed story-telling style, I found very believable. I cheered Jake and Al on as they began their adventure and I continued to be in Jake's corner as he battles the obdurate past.

I recommend this novel to all Stephen King fans, those readers who are not King fans, anyone who remembers this time in history and even young readers who only learned about the 60's and the 70's in history class.


I give it 5 stars.


Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

I am linking this review to 2014 Ebook Reading Challenge hosted by Sarah at Workaday Reads. I signed up at the DVD level which is 25 ebooks and I am no where near that number. I don't know exactly where I am , but will check it out. 



2 comments:

  1. Judy, I felt the same way about this one - just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my kindle... sounds like I need to read it now!

    ReplyDelete