Tuesday, October 21, 2014

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Letter to My Daughter


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By The Sea shares with us the first paragraph or a few a book she is currently reading or planning to read soon. Join her and the rest of us, and share the first chapter, first paragraph of you next reading experience. 





Letter to My Daughter
Maya Angelou

2008 -Random House

Dear Daughter,
This letter has taken an extraordinary time getting itself together. I have know all along that I wanted to tell you  directly of some of the lessons I learned and under what circumstances I have learned them.  



This is a book I have been longing to read since I first heard of it's publication. I checked it out from our public library and by the feel of the book, the way the pages turn, I think I may be the first one to check it out. That makes me sad.

On the back cover is this blub: " I gave birth to one child, a son, but I have thousands of daughters. You are Black and White, Jewish and Muslim, Asian, Spanish-speaking, Native American and Aleut. You are fat and thin and pretty and plain, gay and straight, educated and unlettered, and I am speaking to you all. Here is my offering to you."  

Have you read any of Ms. Angelou's other books?  Would you read this one?



Until next time,
Stay Busy and Stay Happy




21 comments:

  1. Oh, I definitely want to read this one! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “FURTHER OUT THAN YOU THOUGHT”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to read this! Will look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to getting started.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this one, but I have read other books by Maya Angelou. She was such an amazing woman. One of my heroes. I want to read this one and hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings and a collection of essays, Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now. Both were awesome. I know I will enjoy this one too.

      Delete
  4. This book is on my must-read list. I was privileged to hear Ms. Angelou speak, and it was an occasion I'll never forget. I'm sure this book is amazing.
    Thank you for leaving a comment on my post today: THE LITTLEST COWBOY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you got to hear her in person! Sweet!!

      Delete
  5. Ooh - interesting! I'll look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of Ms. Angelou's books yet but they are on my TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not familiar with this author, but it sounds like it may be an uplifting book. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My! You really should look into reading something of hers. She has written poetry, essays and several autobiographies.

      Delete
  8. I've read bits of Maya Angelou's poetry, I'd really like to read more that she's written because she write beautifully. Have a good week! kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to read Just Give Me a Cool Drink of Water 'fore I Diiie. It was nominated for a Pulitzer.

      Delete
  9. Yes, anything by this author will be good - thanks for sharing Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Heart of a Woman on my nightstand. Borrowed from my sister. I want to get to that one too.

      Delete
  10. I especially like the dedication on the back cover. I love this author. You can feel her heart through her writing. I'm so sorry she is no longer with us. What a loss. And, I'm also sad that, after so many years, you are the first one at the library reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this at the library the other day! What a great lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't appreciate Angelou when I studied her in school but the more years pass the more I see how good she was! I haven't read this one yet, but I feel like I should get on it! Thanks for dropping by and sorry for such a late visit back! Have a great week!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete