Tuesday, November 27, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday 11-27



Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.



                    Helena, Montana – Memorial Day, May 29, 2000   
Joel eyed the remains and laughed at the animal that had caused the carnage. The carnivore had done damage, serious damage, to the thing that covered most of his plate. But even serious damage was not a mortal blow, not to a 24-ounce porterhouse. They would have to leave it behind. Doggie bags didn't cut it on ten-hour drives home.

Heldt, John A. (2012-02-12). The Mine (Northwest Passage) (Kindle Locations 33-39). John A. Heldt. Kindle Edition. 


So what do you think?  Would you keep reading?  I did, the setting of Montana drew me in. I've been to Helena, Montana, even have friends that live there, so I kept reading. The other thing that had me read on, was.. this is my first experience with a Kindle edition. I don't have an e-reader yet, but I downloaded the Kindle app onto my laptop. This book was suggested to me by the author through a message on Goodreads. And it was only $.99, so I took the plunge. Now I must decide what kind of reader I want. Kindle, Nook, or go for broke and get an iPad. ??? Decisions, decisions!!!  Any suggestions? 

Till Next Time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy

Judy  

7 comments:

  1. Hmm a setting in Montana does sound compelling. I'd probably keep reading to see how Joel manages that steak! Not sure about your ereader issues, though. Me, I'd probably go with a basic kindle or nook (or whichever one does just books) iPads would be too full of distractions for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Trish. I would get distracted on the iPad. I hadn't thought of that issue. LOL

      Delete
  2. I have a Kindle, but that's mainly because I do a lot of Amazon shopping. I have no basis for comparison, but I'm enjoying mine.

    Intriguing intro. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like books set in Montana, but this may not be for me... think I'd need to read a bit more before deciding. I have a Nook, but only use it for really long books or travel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd need to know more before committing to the book -- a steak and a 10-hour drive. Here’s mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love MT settings, but don't think I'd like this one?? I have a Kindle and iPad but use my Kindle a bit more for eBooks unless I read in bed, then I used iPad for the backlight feature. EReaders are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd keep reading. I love Montana as a setting too. I read Ivan Doig's novels because many of them are set there.

    ReplyDelete