Friday, May 12, 2017

THERE REALLY IS A FINISH HERE!

Last week I told you about the retreat I was attending. I am home now and maybe rested. We had lots of fun, the weather was amazing, and there were lots of tops finished and some other projects completed as well. 

Our theme was Let's Go Glamping!  There were several variations on the theme in the decorations and in the menus. We had a lace table covering and flowers in a mason jar for our Early Morning offerings. 


The snack table had cookies, pretzels, chips, popcorn, and "first aid kits" in prescription bottles. First aid kits were titled Happy Pills to bring joy. Bottles held M&Ms, Skittles, Red Hots, or Jelly Beans. I wish I had taken pictures of the food. There was everything from Oven German Pancakes to Brats and Burgers. Lemon Ice Cream cake with Chocolate Hazelnut Pizzelles to Oreos in the newest flavors. 


Each table had welcome gifts of a bottle of water, a pocket sized pack of tissues and a Smores Kit. ( 2 graham crackers, a square of chocolate bar and 4 marshmallows) and a sewing themed band aid. 

My projects were a Taggie quilt for an expected great granddaughter, due date is August 11th. A tool roll made from scraps and a pattern from A Spoonful of Sugar,  a quilted knapsack from a pattern from Pleasant Home (Jodi's blog is not current at the present time, but here is a link to her Instagram)and a zippered pouch from a box of strings and a pattern gifted from a friend. 

I took my big Bernina to the nearest Bernina dealer( 2 hours from my home but only an hour from the retreat location) for it's bi-annual cleaning and maintenance checkup. While there I purchased some fabric for a fellow quilter who needed some "different gray", 2 yards of fabric for a future 5 yard quilt and I was supposed to purchase a zipper foot for my travel machine ( a Janome Gem) so I could complete my projects. I got all the way back to the retreat and remembered I forgot to buy the zipper foot. So, I completed the baby quilt. It's only 36" square, but just the right size for tummy time or a light stroller cover. 

See all the little loops of ribbon, and rickrack?  Babies love tactile taggies and mom can hang a toy or binky there too. 





I made the tool roll from all scraps. This is the outside. HST finished at 1.5".
This is the inside with several pockets for small tools to take along with a project. The pattern is no longer on their blog, but here is a link to the site. There are lots of other yummy projects. 

I pieced the main patch work for the knapsack, up to the part where I needed to insert the zipper. Stopped!!! Actually this is a picture in progress...I lay the 2.5" squares in a pleasing design, then started to sew. I decided to take a picture with my phone so I could remember what went where. I tried the  "web" technique and worked quite well. 

Then I foundation pieced the strings front and back for the zippered pouch, attached the tabs on the zipper and "stopped", no zipper foot. No pictures, but I will share when the pouch is complete. 

So I worked on a hand quilting project....as yet to be revealed. Oh my, not my best 4 days of sewing but I did get started on some things and I rested too. That was my goal...to not be so exhausted when I got home. Goal Accomplished. 

I will link this to Amanda Jean's Finish It Up Friday and Finished Or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts


Til next time,

Judy





2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like it was a great time! cute projects too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy,
    It looks like you got a lot accomplished and had a great time. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete