Monday, May 29, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 5/29/17



It's Memorial Day here in the US and although my heart aches for our country, I must remember those that served so we have the freedoms we enjoy. I pray that our freedoms continue and that we the people have a voice.

On my FB page I shared these:  This is my dad, probably about summer 1946 judging from the other photos that were will this one in my mom's belongings. I lost him too young. I was 23, by sister and brothers still in school. He was 49, killed in a car accident.

This is our son. He served in the Air Force in 1987-1990. Luckily for him and for us, not during wartime. I am proud of the man he has become. He would cringe at this photo, but it is the only one I have of him in his uniform, except for his wedding to his first wife and I can't publish that. 


I am finally back to reading more. My book club is taking a break during the summer, but we have selected 3 of the titles by Fredrik Backman for our summer reading choices.
I had already read A Man Called Ove and liked it a lot. 

This one was one that our friend and member, Helen wanted to read. She was 84 and at our March meeting was having trouble with her hip. Easter weekend she fell and though she had had a hip replacement, she broke the surrounding bone. Her heart problem complicated further surgery, so she was admitted to  rehab in a town 2 hours away.  She missed our April meeting.  We staying in touch with her through emails and because one of our members is a friend of one of her daughters. She raised 10 children on a ranch in NE Wyoming. We met the third Tuesday in May, discussed our books and decided to chose these because Helen was interested and we knew she was recuperating now in a hospital a bit closer to home. By the next morning Wednesday, we got word that she had passed away, due to heart issues. We will miss this lovely woman of God, strong spirited, lover of literature and her fellow man.   

I am looking forward to the discussion of all three of these. I am currently reading my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry

Last week I finished, though not in Audio format.  I read a regular sized paperback from the library. It looked and felt liked it had been read many times. I enjoyed it too. I especially like the main character Eve Dallas. If you like detective stories, with a bit of romance ( or just plain lust) and you don't mind setting in the future, try this series. It is set in 2058 in NYC.  Still gritty and "happening". 



I've sort of fallen away from my sewing room in the last couple of weeks. I attended a retreat  and started several projects there, finished 2 but that is all. I did not complete my challenges for May at all. One I did not even start, although I did locate it in the stack of project boxes and bags! The weather is improving here, I got some pot planted for in front of our house and on the back deck. I need one more for the front porch. I put the flag out this morning when I got up, I think I would like a patriotic themed planter this year. I will go looking for an appropriate pot and selection of flowers today. 

Until next time
Stay Busy and Stay Happy


10 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I hope you are enjoying your reading, and have a great holiday.

    I have My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry...and have read Ove. Britt-Marie is on my list.

    I hear good things about Beartown, the newest one.

    Have a great week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Britt-Marie on my shelf, ready and waiting. Have a friend that received Beartown as a gift and she offered to share it when she is finished. I hope it is as good as is being discussed. I have been keeping up with you on FB and your posts with your kindle and your lunch, or supper or breakfast have influenced my coming back to blogging about books.

      Delete
  2. The In Death series is one of my favorites. I always get the newest downloaded to my Kindle on release day and read it soon after. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am late coming to the party on the J.D. Robb series. I had read lots of Nora Roberts in the past and thought I would not like the Death series....not sure why now, because I am hooked. I will continue, I may never catch up however. She pumps out a lot of books!!

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I so much want to read A Man Called Ove. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy it. It was fun to listen to the audio as I got my steps in on the treadmill last winter.

      Delete
  4. Nice to have you back Judy. Thanks for sharing about Helen, I loved reading about her. Yes I only learned how to say Ove because of the audiobook as well! Locating a project is the first step so you are on the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The projects are stacking up, so I try to stay organized. I am glad to be back here. Missed learning what everyone is reading.

      Delete
  5. So nice to see someone else who is an Eve Dallas and Rourke fan. I look forward to the Backman books now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of Backman's books but they're certainly popular! I'm getting ready for Armchair BEA this week. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete