Sunday, March 12, 2017

March Finishes : Church Lady Apron and Bib Apron

2017 is turning out to be a pretty good year for finishes for me.  I have 3 different challenge lists and that is keeping me focused.

The Sewing Center/Fabric City UFO Challenge has a list of themes for each month. Then I have to chose which item on my L-O-N-G list of UFO's fits the theme and get it finished in the month. Then I post a picture to the proper album on their Facebook page and they draw winners of coupons or fabric every month. That is good motivation for some, I just need the "peer pressure" to get busy!. The link above with direct you to their page on Facebook, the UFO Challenge is a closed group, so you are unable to see all the projects.

The theme for March is "Spring". I am not a flowery, spring color kind of girl. I lean toward fall colors, so that was a hard one for me. One of my UFOs was to make a Church Lady apron. The pattern is by Mary Mulari, a fequent contributor on Sewing with Nancy on PBS,  Then I found an apron pre printed panel that I had cut out, ready to sew. IDEA!  Back the bib apron panel with springy fabric and give to granddaughter #1 for Easter. Make the Church Lady Apron for me, to wear while cooking Easter dinner!  I had some cute bottle cap fabric and a coordinating cross hatch print. Done!

They are reversible to should be sturdy enough and useful. 


The All People Quilt ( American Patchwork and Quilting) 2017 UFO Challenge goes like this. I filled out a chart, posted on their web site. Then at the beginning of each month, a number is posted on the challenge groups Facebook page. At the end of the month, I record the progress made on the ufo. It doesn't have to be finished. But can be, of course. #12 was drawn for March. Number 12 on my list was to finish a play/activity quilt for our first Great Granddaughter, Bella. The quilt stays at our house, so she has a safe place on the floor. I finished that too. 


   There is a strip added near the top, with taggies and loops to attach toys. The long looking piece is a striped ribbon I couldn't throw away. I added an empty plastic thread spool.  She loved it. Near the bottom is a printed panel section left over from her brother's Winnie the Pooh quilt. I made small square fabric pillows and attached them to several pictures on the panel for a Peek-a-boo effect.



Last but not least I made a teething ring with bunny ears attached. It is fabric and toweling. Gives a great Handle to hold on to and catch the drool!


 I am pleased to have these 3 UFO's off my list. 

My other challenge is a local group I belong to. We do a project every 60 days. I posted about the first project, dice roll #5 .HERE.  

I am posting these finishes to Crazy Mom Quilts'  Finish It Up Friday!   This post was written and published on the 12th, too late for Friday the 10th. So I am linking it today, the 17th. 





PS:  I finished a book too!  Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb. 

6 comments:

  1. Your projects are beautiful! Isn't it wonderful when you finish something, especially something as lovely and practical as these creations? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia! In my sewing life, I used to say that finishing is overrated....but it does feel good to get some things done. Finishing a book however is always a must. I struggle with "not finishing", even if I find it really awful! What's up with that?

      Delete
  2. Great projects - all so practical. I love making things that I know are going to be used and adored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am an apron kind of girl, so I will use mine for sure. Bella loves her quilt, in fact her big brother had sort of "green with envy" eyes. I guess a busy book for him could be another project.

      Delete
  3. Love the activity blanket! I really should make something like that for the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your activity quilt. I made several of those as Alzheimer's for the local nursing home. Very appreciated. I am impressed by the number of finishes you have. I don't have many UFOs. I like to finish projects about like you finish books.

    Like you, I also have to finish books. For the moment, I am not reading enough, but I'll be retired soon. Hopefully, that means I'll be finishing many books! I'll have to check your blog for recommendations. :-)

    ReplyDelete