Friday, March 24, 2017

A Wall Hanging, Another Little Project, and a Book.

Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts is taking a spring break, so I will try to link this to another blog.
Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
I found another quilter so I am linking to Busy Hands Quilts. You should be able to click on the image above to get to her linky party.


There hasn't been a great deal of finishing here this last week or so.

I have been working on a small wall hanging. It is finally finished, well the top at least. Now I have to decide how to ask the longarmer to quilt it. Some don't do custom around embroidery. This pattern was free on Val Laird Designs blog several years ago. She did hers in pastels. I had an abundance of browns from a fat quarter exchange and I am more of a Fall colors kinda girl.

 It is hard to see here, but the nine blocks have embroidered and appliqued pictures. It is called Thoughts in Thread and I really like it. I finally took these close-ups.





Seems current in the fact that the world is in such turmoil, we must keep good thoughts, lovely thoughts, and pure thoughts in our hearts.  As of Saturday morning it will be on its way to the longarm quilter that EVERYONE in my circle recommended. Her name is Virginia Ohr and she is awesome. I will share when I get it back. She is backed up, so it may be awhile. The other fabulous quilter in our area has retired and is traveling with her husband. So for custom work, we are lacking.


I also finished a lanquishing project. You are going to shake you head I am sure. For years I had 2 placemats that were take-aways at a Mother's Day tea sponsored by my Beta Sigma Phi chapter. They were fabric fused on to batting, then pinked around the edge. They lasted a long time. I did not use them daily, but often. Finally the fabric began to pull away from the batting. What's a frugal girl to do?  Find a backing, quilt and bind, of course.  So here they are. The backing is a left over piece of pieced backing from a lap quilt I finished in October. The binding is a piece from my stash. I am very happy to have them done and usable again. There were also two small heart shaped coasters that I just backed, quilted then re-pinked around the heart shape.


 The front is the vegetable print, the back is the pieced cream, beige, rust and brown. I stippled them myself, so I won't show you a close-up.  They are fine for everyday use in our house.

Stay Busy and Stay Happy





Oh, I also finished reading Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse , it is wonderful. Have you read a book told in free verse?  Set in 1934 during the Dust Bowl in Oklahoma.  One of my favorite, speaking of her Ma:

Today, she stood out in the drizzle
hidden from the road, 
and from Daddy, 
and she thought from me, 
but I could see her from the barn, 
she was bare as a pear, 
raindrops
sliding down her skin,
leaving traces of mud on her face and her long back,
trickling light and dark paths, 







No comments:

Post a Comment