Wednesday, September 21, 2016

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

A Tree Grows in BrooklynA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  Smith
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read this book in 1969 when I was a young mother. Reading it now changed how I viewed the book. I fell in love with Francie Nolan and I understood her mother in a whole new way. What a wonderful story of growing up in poor America in the early 1900's. Betty Smith touches our hearts with poignant examples of how boys were treated differently than girls, how wives struggled and went hungry so their children could have a better future. Some of this still is happening, but thankfully not as prevalent as in the past.

This has become one of my favorite books.




3 comments:

  1. It's fun to go back and re-read books. I'd like to re-read "To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolfe. I liked it as a college student, but something tells me that now, as a wife and mother, I'll have a new appreciation for the themes, etc. I'll add A Tree Grows in Brooklyn to my TBR list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to go back and re-read books. I'd like to re-read "To the Lighthouse" by Virginia Woolfe. I liked it as a college student, but something tells me that now, as a wife and mother, I'll have a new appreciation for the themes, etc. I'll add A Tree Grows in Brooklyn to my TBR list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
    beautiful book. However, Girl on a Train was a book
    that nearly made me regret learning to read it was
    a load of codswallop.
    Ciar Ireland (located on the far western corner of Europe.)

    ReplyDelete