Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday June 22, 2016


Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button at Kathy's blog, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

My words today come from Broad Influence: How Women Are changing the Way America Works by Jay Newton-Small.

"One of the oldest boys' clubs in the country resides in the West Wing of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, a bastion of male power so obdurate that is has been among the slowest to open to women."

obdurate:  adjective

    : refusing to do what other people want: not willing to change your opinion or the way you do something. 

I feel like I should have known this word. It reminds me of obstinate, which also means refusing to change your behavior or ideas. 


Speaking of the 20 women in the Senate in the 2012-13 session -

"The women were hardly monolithic. They ranged in ages between 45 - 80." 

monolithic: adjective

  : constituting a massive undifferentiated and often rigid whole
  : exhibiting or characterized by often rigidly fixed uniformity 

What wondrous words did you find this week? 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy








3 comments:

  1. Your two words are ones I think I know but can't really define.

    Thanks for recommending Broad Influnence. I'm almost done with the first chapter. It's really good and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obdurate sounds like its meaning to me. Two great words today!

    ReplyDelete