Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday 6-29-16



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button at Kathy's blog, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

My words today come from Broad Influence: How Women Are Changing the Way America Works by Jay Newton-Small. 


"There is a rubric that a woman has to be asked on average seven times to run for office before she agrees."


rubric:   noun



  1. 1a :  an authoritative rule; especially :  a rule for conduct of a liturgical serviceb (1) :  nametitlespecifically :  the title of a statute (2) :  something under which a thing is classed 
  2.        c :  an explanatory or introductory commentary:  an editorial interpolation
  3. 2:  a heading of a part of a book or manuscript done or underlined in a color (as red) different from the rest
  4. 3:  an established rule, tradition, or custom
  5. 4:  a guide listing specific criteria for grading or scoring academic papers, projects, or tests

There are a lot of definitions for rubric. I think number 3 is how it is intended in this sentence. 


"At most big tech companies, 30 percent of the employees are women, but only a few of those women are coders or engineers, usually a tech company's most vaunted and influential employees."


vaunted   adjective


 : often spoken of or described as very good or great : often praised



Did you encounter any wondrous words this week?


Stay Busy ans Stay Happy






2 comments:

  1. Both words are new to me. I like rubric and I think I can use that in my personal vocabulary. When I get rolling on a subject I think I talk in rubrics. By the way, I'm really enjoying Broad Influence. I'm reading it slowly and just digesting it. Its very well written, isn't it? Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only heard rubric used with the 4th definition. It always amazes me when one word has so many different meanings.

    ReplyDelete