Tuesday, June 28, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros. 6-28-16


Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this Tuesday meme. It is a place to share the first paragraph in the first chapter of a book you are reading or hope to get to soon. It is a great place to see what others are reading and add to your ever growing list of title to explore. So let's share. Write a post and then go link up at Diane's blog.





Glory Over Everything: Beyond The Kitchen House
Kathleen Grissom
Simon & Schuster  April 2016


Part One
Chapter One

March 1830
Philadelphia

James

     Robert's familiar rap on the door came as I was studying a miniature portrait of myself. The small painting, meant as a parting gift to my beloved, had just been delivered, and I was debating the artist's interpretation. I had to admit that Miss Peale's suggestion to paint my face in profile, and thus avoid the black patch covering my left eye, was a good idea. Too, she had captured my features well in this, my thirty-third year: the length of my oval face, my aquiline nose, and the cleft in my square cut jaw. But I disliked the distinct set she had given my mouth.
     Robert knocked again.
     "Yes", I called, and my butler entered. 


I read The Kitchen House and loved it. So I had to download this audio book so I could again go back and find out what's next.  This is a stand alone novel but brings us again to 1830, the Underground Railroad and life on the plantations of the South. I am looking forward to this one, would you read on? 


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

25 comments:

  1. I loved The Kitchen House, so I really want to read this one. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to this one too, Catherine.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a chance to read The Kitchen House yet. This does sound good--such an interesting time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally like historical fiction. This time period interests me a lot.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the Kitchen House either, but if I do read it, I'll keep this on in mind too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many books to consider, it is hard to get to them all. Impossible!

      Delete
  4. I still need to read The Kitchen House! So many people loved it... hope this is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it as much as I did.

      Delete
  5. I haven't yet read The Kitchen House, but I've been eyeing it...and this one now intrigues me. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do get to read this author, I think you will like her stories.

      Delete
  6. That cover is stunning. I like the opening paragraph too. I still haven't gotten to Kitchen House yet, but now I think I should read them together - probably by audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to get into the audio habit more and more too.

      Delete
  7. This sounds pretty good but, I read very little historical fiction and I'm so annoyingly picky when I do LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally like historical fiction. I like this time period, but I have read a lot of stories of slavery and the surrounding time.

      Delete
  8. I'm not a fan of historical fiction but this the paragraph did catch my attention. So...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get a chance, I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  9. This one and The Kitchen House are on my list. I would keep reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't heard of this series. It sounds good. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My book club read The Kitchen House two years ago. All of us enjoyed it. Hoping this one is good as well.

      Delete
  11. I listened to The Kitchen House and want to continue on with the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxious to get to this one too.

      Delete
  12. This sounds really intriguing - I loved that opening and would definitely like to read on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to read this one.

      Delete
  13. I enjoy historical fiction quite a bit, so it is rare that I turn a book like this down. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete