Tuesday, June 14, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - 6-14-16 Broad Influence



Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this Tuesday meme. It is a place to share the first paragraph in the first chapter of a book you are reading or hope to get to soon. It is a great place to see what others are reading and add to your ever growing list of title to explore. So let's share. Write a post and then go link up at Diane's blog.





Broad Influence - How Women Are Changing the Way America Works
Jay Newton-Small
Time Books 2016


1
THE WEST WING

One of the oldest boys' clubs in the country resides in the West Wing of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, a bastion of male power so obdurate that it has been among the slowest to open to women. In the 216 years from the country's founding until 1992, just 14 women served in the Cabinet; in the next 23 years, there's been some acceleration, with 20 women in Cabinet positions. When President Obama took office in January 2009, his secretaries of state, labor, homeland security and health and human services and the director of the Environmental Protection Agency were all women, as was his United Nations ambassador. 



I really wanted to share the introduction to this book too, but could not decide which paragraph would be more attractive. Do you read much non-fiction?  Do you ever read non-fiction?  This book was introduced to us by one our book club members who listens to a lot of NPR. She is also a recently retired social studies teacher from one of the Junior Highs in our small conservative city.

So would you read this one?  Regardless of which side of the aisle you sit on, women are moving from critical mass to broad influence in our country.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy


11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the "broad influence" of women...it's about time! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read much non-fiction, but this is a topic that really interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is probably not book I would pick up on my own to read, but then, I do not read many nonfiction books, much less ones dealing with politics. I'd like to think the influence of women is broadening in all areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thrilled to see women taking more powerful positions. I'm not sure if the book would hold my attention, although I love listening to NPR. Maybe it would. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading more and more nonfiction over the last few years and this one sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds like my kind of book. Interesting topic. I would definitely keep reading. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thing I just might like this one. Need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read maybe one to three NFs a year. This one subject is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not much of a NF person at all. I read maybe one a year, and usually with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like non-fiction but mainly history. Not sure this one is for me, though bet subject would be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how I missed this first paragraph yesterday. I'm glad I caught it as I REALLY want to read this book. This is right up my alley. I read about one non-fiction book a month. I only occasionally post them on my blog because most people are not interested. Thanks Judy for posting this one.

    ReplyDelete