Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday



Kathy at Bermuda Onion hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. A chance to highlight words you find while reading or occasionally by listening. Share your words then link up with Kathy's blog so we can all learn a new wondrous word.




Nubian   noun  ( as an adjective: pertaining to the peoples of Nubia)

                                 This sentence is from page 31 of Chesapeake Song by Brenda Lane Richardson. 


' Just behind her, a nut-brown teenage girl with a Nubian face, lids heavily lined, stares toward the dark windows of the limo."

1. a native or inhabitant of Nubia
2. a member of one of the group of dark-skinned peoples that formed a powerful empire between Egypt and Ethiopia from the 6th to the 14th centuries.  (Modern day Egypt and Sudan)



I haven't found many wondrous and unknown words this week. I haven't been doing a lot of reading. So here is another from my Word-of-the-Day emails. 


stolid    adjective

 :  having or expressing little or no sensibility     
 :   unemotional

which let me to another word that I do not use regularly: 

phlegmatic    adjective

 :  not easily upset, excited or angered. 


What wondrous words did you find this week? 

Stay Busy and Stay Happy


5 comments:

  1. Nubian is new to me and a word I never would have guessed. If I'd seen stolid, I would have thought it was a typo but it's a word I think I can use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have had to look up Nubian too. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good words, nubian piqued my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems I've always known what "nubian" means, but I would have been hard-pressed to tell you where Nubia is/was. Thanks for the background!

    ReplyDelete