Monday, May 23, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 5/23/16


It's Monday! What Are You Reading?  is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. Share what you are reading, what you read recently or what you hope to get to in the coming week and then link up with Kathryn at Book Date. It is a great place to see what is going on in the blogosphere and to add to your reading lists.

It has been a slow reading week. And a slow stitching week. We traveled to a nearby bigger city for an appointment with a neurologist. Mr. Busy has tingling in his feet. The diagnosis was peripheral neuropathy and likely progressive. There are some drugs but he is reluctant to start them. He hates taking pills and at age 71 takes no prescriptions for blood pressure, cholesterol, arthritis or anything. Pretty amazing. 

We spent the night with my sister and her husband. We always enjoy visiting with them. So we ate good food, and drank good wine and had good conversation. 

That being said, Still on my bedside table:



There are such good reviews out there for this title. And the writing is very good for the most part. It is a story about a black family in the 50's and 60's and more currently in 1990's. The one thing that has made it difficult is that the story of Seth, Virginia and their daughter Tamra in '51 and '64 is written in the past tense and the story of Tamra and Charles is written in the present tense. I find it cumbersome to read in the present tense. Why?  I am only in the middle of chapter 13 and the characters are certainly well established. So I will continue and report back later. 


Still on my Kindle: 

Have not started Ghostly Paws or any of the four selections. Spending some time in my sewing room, and I watched several episodes of season 8 of Grey's Anatomy. I am really behind and so want to reacquaint myself with all the various threads of the story. Some of season 8 I have seen and some I missed, so it is good to watch them back to back. 

I will have a review of The Hurricane Sisters soon. 

Hope you all are having better reading success than I am having lately. Summer reading on the porch or beach or at the cabin is just around the corner in the Northern Hemisphere and I would imagine those of you "down under" will have some time indoors on cooler days. Does your winter get really dreary?  

Stay Busy and Stay Happy

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your reads and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is shaping up to be a good one. Finally some warm weather and sunshine!

      Delete
  2. Hmm I always have a dislike for present tense books, I will read them now, but well I just tolerate them! Mr B is amazing to be on no meds, so I can see his reluctance to start now, hope it progresses very slowly. Enjoy the new fabric added to your stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am not the only one who finds present tense awkward. New fabric is always a chance to enjoy.

      Delete
  3. Present tense always feels awkward to me, too. Otherwise, Chesapeake Song sounds good. Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping I can get in the rhythm and it will start to flow more easily.

      Delete
  4. I like the cover art to Chesapeake Song. Good picks this week. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was drawn to the cover also. It wasn't a book I had heard anything about before I purchased it.

      Delete
  5. I'm not comfortable with present tense either and tend to pass over books written in this tense. Probably missed out on some good books because of it. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Present tense is certainly difficult to write! Weather is nice here. Hope yours is too!

    ReplyDelete