Tuesday, May 24, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Chesapeake Song



Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this Tuesday meme. It is a place to share the first paragraph in the first chapter of a book you are reading or hope to get to soon. It is a great place to see what others are reading and add to your ever growing list of title to explore. So let's share. Write a post and then go link up at Diane's blog.




Chesapeake Song
Brenda Lane Richardson  1993
Kensington Publishing Corp. 2001



1

Tamra

October 1990

On her bed a suitcase gapes eagerly on its spine.The interior, pink silk, like a petticoat, soft intimate space inside a box for travel. It has been used once only on her wedding night, then yielding gowns for sleep and loving, grunts and sighs. Today she strips a dress from a hanger, pulls cotton undies from a bureau, and rushing toward the suitcase, tries to remember the fullness of that night. Instead she recalls the harshness of a life lived together: thoughtless acts, missed cures, words of discord from the jaws of an angry marriage. 


Would you read on?


Stay Busy and Stay Happy




16 comments:

  1. Now I am wondering what has transpired to lead her to this moment. Thanks for sharing...and I do want to know more.

    Here's mine: “BLOOD DEFENSE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still learning the events that led up to her packing her suitcase. I like the words!

      Delete
  2. Such a sad turn of events for her. I can't help but wonder what's happened and where she's going now. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The events that led up to her packing up and leaving are still unfolding.

      Delete
  3. The opening has me curious enough to read on. And I remember those suitcases with the silk linings--they are long gone, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the days, when you didn't have to worry about baggage handlers and the TSA!

      Delete
  4. It has some descriptive language, that's for sure. Hope you like it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is descriptive, indeed. I am enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  5. I love the author's description ("jaws of an angry marriage.") I'm wondering where she's going and what will happen to her.
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten into the story far enough to learn that she is going to NYC to stay with a friend. HMMM??

      Delete
  6. I like the writing - very descriptive. It seems rather sad. I do hope it's an enjoyable read for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That paragraph is particularly sad, I agree. Parts of it so far are sad and parts are funny.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It has been on my TBR shelf for quite awhile. I am liking it up to this point.

      Delete
  8. Quite descriptive. I would keep reading. Plus, I love the art work on the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am quite curious Judy. Hope you enjoy this one, I hadn't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete