Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday 4/6/16




 Kathy at Bermuda Onion hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. A chance to highlight words you find while reading or occasionally by listening. Share your words then link up with Kathy's blog so we can all learn a new wondrous word.


This sentence was found in Bossypants by Tina Fey. 

"When I was a kid there was a TV interstitial during Saturday morning cartoons with a song that went like this: "The most important person in the whole wide world is you, and you hardly even know you"" 



interstitial  : adjective / noun

My Webster-Merriam says this about the word, interstitial.  
  1. relating to or situated in the interstices
  2. 2a :  situated within but not restricted to or characteristic of a particular organ or tissue —used especially of fibrous tissueb :  affecting the interstitial tissues of an organ or part
  3. 3:  being or relating to a crystalline compound in which usually small atoms or ions of a nonmetal occupy holes between the larger metal atoms or ions in the crystal lattice




I think I am still confused. I wonder how this word fits in the sentence?

So I decided to search further. Wikipedia showed several definitions. These seem to apply.



Communications

  • Interstitial program, short television programming which is often shown between movies or other events
  • A synonym for station identification in television broadcasting, typically a static logo
  • Interstitial web page, a web page that is displayed before an expected content page, often to display advertisements, confirm the user's age, or promote the installation of an app on a mobile device



Since Ms. Fey is in the entertainment business, the communication industry, I think she meant this definition. What do you think, Word Nerds??


Stay Busy and Stay Happy



8 comments:

  1. Great detective work! I think she must have station identification too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so curious, I had to see if I could find out!

      Delete
  2. That was a lot of work for one word! Good job. I think I understand what it means now. As to the internet interstitials, I just call them pop-ups. At least I think that's what they are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for the dictionaries on line. Now if I can just remember it, for the next time!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I'm glad you stuck with it. With my biology/ PT background, I only knew the first meaning. Thanks for going the extra mile for us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know! A girl has to know!! "haha"

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't quite give it up til I know I at least tried!

      Delete