Kathy at Bermuda Onion hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. A chance to highlight words you find while reading or occasionally by listening. Share your words then link up with Kathy's blog so we can all learn a new wondrous word.
This sentence was found in Bossypants by Tina Fey.
"When I was a kid there was a TV interstitial during Saturday morning cartoons with a song that went like this: "The most important person in the whole wide world is you, and you hardly even know you""
interstitial : adjective / noun
My Webster-Merriam says this about the word, interstitial.
- relating to or situated in the interstices
- 2a : situated within but not restricted to or characteristic of a particular organ or tissue —used especially of fibrous tissueb : affecting the interstitial tissues of an organ or part
- 3: being or relating to a crystalline compound in which usually small atoms or ions of a nonmetal occupy holes between the larger metal atoms or ions in the crystal lattice
I think I am still confused. I wonder how this word fits in the sentence?
So I decided to search further. Wikipedia showed several definitions. These seem to apply.
- Interstitial art, any work of art whose basic nature falls between, rather than within, the familiar boundaries of accepted genres or media
- Interstitial space (architecture)
- Interstitial program, short television programming which is often shown between movies or other events
- A synonym for station identification in television broadcasting, typically a static logo
- Interstitial web page, a web page that is displayed before an expected content page, often to display advertisements, confirm the user's age, or promote the installation of an app on a mobile device
Stay Busy and Stay Happy