Tuesday, April 19, 2016

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Ready Player One by Ernest Cline



Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea hosts this Tuesday meme. It is a place to share the first paragraph in the first chapter of a book you are reading or hope to get to soon. It is a great place to see what others are reading and add to your ever growing list of title to explore. So let's share. Write a post and then go link up at Diane's blog.



Ready Player One
Ernest Cline
Read by Wil Wheaton
Crown Publishing 2011, trademark of Random House


Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they heard first heard about the contest. I was sitting in my hideout watching cartoons when the news bulletin broke in on my video feed, announcing that James Halliday had died during the night. 

I'd heard of Halliday, of course. Everyone had. He was the videogame designer responsible for creating the OASIS, the massively multiplayer online game that had gradually evolved into the globally networked virtually reality most of humanity not used on a daily basis. The unprecedented success of the OASIS had made Halliday one of the  wealthiest people in the world.


Have you read this one. Would you give it a try. It is not my usual genre, but I have been a Star Trek fan for years and it is narrated by Wil Wheaton. What can I say?



19 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about this book, and while it is not my usual pick, the excerpt is intriguing. Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “TERRIBLE VIRTUE”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some unused credits at Audible.com, and this one was highly recommended by Sheila at Book Journey, so I picked it! I am glad it did.

      Delete
  2. I've also heard good things about this book, and actually have a copy. Maybe one of these days I'll crack it open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a gamer, but my grandkids are, so I am identifying with the characters. So far, I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  3. It's not my usual genre either, but I keep seeing very positive reviews, especially for the audio version. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read great reviews of the audio version, and so when I needed to use some free credits at Audible I decided to give it a try.

      Delete
  4. I may be the only one, but I haven't heard about this book. I would like to keep reading as I like how it starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read several good reviews, and sometimes that is all it takes for me, is a suggestion and someone else liking it! Someone I trust at least!

      Delete
  5. Oh.My.Gosh. You're a Star Trek fan?! Me, too!! YAY!!! And this book is right up my alley!! Not that I'm a gamer, but I love SF, and dystopian novels will always catch my interest! I've checked out this book on Goodreads, and added it to my shelves there. What a FIND!!

    Thanks for sharing this!! Also, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my own Tuesday Intros post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope when you get a chance to read this, that you enjoy it. I am an OLD TREKKIE, but I am enjoying this reads references to gamer platforms etc. And Wil Wheaton does an amazing job with the narration.

      Delete
    2. I prefer the classic Star Trek myself! Live long and prosper!! :)

      Delete
  6. I haven't listened to or read this but *everyone* loves it. I really should make the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance. I recommend the audio version!

      Delete
  7. I heard good things about this one but, I don't think it's one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I would like it, but I took the chance. My kids(husband too) and grandkids are gamers so maybe that is why it appealed to me after I got started. Also, Sheila at Book Journey sang it's praises!

      Delete
  8. This is a new one for me but I love the narrator on The Big Bang Theory!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't know if your are familiar with Star Trek, but Wil Wheaton played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek, The Next Generation. And he has made several appearances on BBT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the audio version of this and hope you do too! Wil Wheaton was a draw for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wil Wheaton does a fantastic job narrating. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete