Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Wondrous Words Wednesday


 Kathy at Bermuda Onion hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. A chance to highlight words you find while reading or occasionally by listening. Share your words then link up with Kathy's blog so we can all learn a new wondrous word.


My current read is The Accidental Bachelor by Tim Holsten.  There are lots of words that are Hawaiian, but I can get the meaning by the use in the sentence. Also, there is a great deal of dialogue with Finnegan's boss, Duke that is pidgin. Hard to read, sometimes hard to understand.


kapu - noun ( in Hawaiian traditional culture and religion) a set of rules and prohibitions for everyday life.


Every guy in the place was staring at my teacher's hibiscuses. How could they not know it was kapu?

This word was used later in the book and then the meaning was clear.


I keep hoping this book will give me a reason to like it. A reason for Finnegan to get a grip and make something of his life.


Stay Busy and Stay Happy

6 comments:

  1. I've vacationed in Hawaii twice and have picked up on some of the native language, so I was intrigued at first about this book. But it sounds like you're not thrilled? I don't like meandering, pitiful protagonists... let me know if it gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the book is not a good one for you. I kinda like the whole idea of kapu and wonder about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard the word 'kapu'. Hope the book picks up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "my teacher's hibiscuses" ...lol. This is a new word for me too. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete